DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Site Export/Import

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Hello Community,

I have done a site export on one installation of DNN(9.7.2) and imported to another install (same version).  The module settings did not transfer over correctly.  Meaning  tabmodulesettings table did get my settings transferred but tabmoduleid is not correct(98 times). I did not use Iportable when I wrote them.  I really dont understand how to use it either.  Is there some module or script I could use to get module settings per page and correct this?  Or is this a bug - and how can I make another export and import correctly.

Thamk for your reply in advance.

New Around Here

I found problems also with Import from Export.  All pages were created, but many did not have the modules added, also DB records were not written.  All items were checked.

I use to use resources & template that still works on when creating a site, but the ability to create new has disappeared.

Veteran Member

If your module doesn't support iPortable, you are not going to get contents and settings exported or imported.

As best as I remember, importing doesn't preserve moduleId, as that isn't required to be unique -- you might be importing a site into a DNN installation that already has other sites, other moduleId, etc. But the import should get modules correctly and on the correct pages. Also with content and settings if they support iPortable.

Also note that "modern" versions of DNN have two ways of exporting and importing.

First way: From Site Settings you can export a site template with or without content. To do this correctly you need to have modules and skins installed on the new installation before you try to add a site template.

Second way: also from Site Settings you can export/import and you can move a lot more than with the site template. You can move users and IIRC, you can move modules and skins (they get installed in the new installation) as well as module contents. Again, internal Id variables and other things probably get new values. So, it you have things that refer to those non-public items, you probably won't have them transferred correctly.

Those things said, I have had better results with the templates than the import/export process. I don't remember all of the details, but import/export would sometimes choke and die. I believe that I did some debugging and discovered the at least some of those errors were due to bad data in DNN tables from old, old versions of DNN and modules.

In one particular troublesome case, I was able to install modules and skins and then use the template (with content) to rebuild a new copy of the site. It's didn't have many users. I used the ForDNN module to move users, I think successfully.

In my testing, I was able to import/export several simple DNN portals pretty much seamlessly. Unfortunately, it's the sites that stareted a 3.x, 4.x, etc that have all sorts of internal warts and scars, so don't always play nicely.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

In addition to this, there are some versions (9.9.something) where site template where created but not available for use. In the most recent version (9.10.2) this is fixed.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com
          You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved