DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Setting HTTP Response Tracking Cookies

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have a client requesting to add a server-side HTTP Response Header cookie to implement Rakuten advertising tracking in a way that Apple products won't reject (no 3rd party or JavaScript implemented cookies). Apart from my personal feelings about whether this is a good idea, I promised to research it. It looks like it would be pretty simple to implement on a PHP based site, but here's the only thing I can find about implementing it in the ASP.net world:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-api/overview/advanced/http-cookies

This article does appear to show how to create and set a cookie in server-side C# code. I'm guessing in the DNN environment, I would have to build a custom DNN module to add to each page of the website that would examine the URL of the page while it loads, and if the Rakuten query string parameters were present, would grab and use those values to build and set the cookie during the page load. 

I was hoping that there would be some similar DNN module out there  I could review to understand better, but right now it looks like a ton of effort for a very limited ROI value. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

I've mostly associated HTTP Response Headers with security and authentication messages sent to the browser, rather than marketing cookies.

Thanks! David

I was hoping to find some example of a DNN project that I could use as a foundation for that, but the only DNN modules I find around the topic of cookies are "Cookie Consent" modules to meet GDPR requirements. 

Veteran Member

I'd recommend putting this code into your theme layout(s).
      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved