DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Import/Export Feature To Include Theme Options #5136

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I have created the following item in GitHub and would love to encourage review and discussion both here within the DNN Community Forums and on the GitHub location.

Import/Export Feature To Include Theme Options #5136
    https://github.com/dnnsoftware/Dnn.Platform/issues/5136

We use the Portal-level Site Template Export/Import feature heavily within DNN instances which have many portals and need to create new ones based on previous templates and versions of templates. The current DNN 9x Import/Export system is fantastic but needs a feature to allow for the application or NON application of the Theme during the Import process.

## Description of problem
    A feature of the old DNN8 features for Portal Export & Site Wizard was that you could export a Site Template for a portal and then when applying a Site Template, you could, in the wizard steps, choose to apply a Theme, or skip that step and apply no different Theme changes during the process.

The current DNN 9x Import/Export feature is a wonderful improvement on those main features. The Site Template creation has checkboxes for several wonderful things to be selected or omitted from the Site Template, but "Include Theme & Containers" isn't one of them. 

During the Import process, it applies the Theme of the site which is active during creating the Site Template to that target Portal when applying the Site Template.

I would like to suggest a checkbox either during creation (during Export action), or better/additionally during the selection of the Site Template (during Import step) which allows users a choice to not apply a Theme during the import.

## Description of solution
    Clearly the Theme for the Portal level Site Settings and/or the page Tab level Tab Settings are recording the Theme within the Export step of creating a Site Template. This means the data is already present and action is taken with that data on Import. The suggestion is to add interface options such as:

Basic Additional Function
    - Add a checkbox in the Import screen which allows a user to de-select an "Apply Theme" option.
    - Add logic to the process which can include or skip the Theme application steps based on passed settings

Extra Additional Function
    - Add a checkbox in the Export screen which allows a user to de-select a "Theme" item in the "Include In Export" section

Veteran Member

I think this would be a great improvement

Growing Member

Timo says, and I quote, "I think this would be a great improvement"
        glowing endorsement for a wonderful improvement! Thanks Timo!

When I retire and invent a time machine, I'll learn more about DNN core project development so that I can come back in time to submit code to help with this improvement.

Until then, I'll start working on my time machine.
        You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
        2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        5. No Flaming or Trolling.
        6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved