DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

App_Data ExtensionPackages folder

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Does the ExtensionPackges folder under \App_Data have any specific purpose? I see that after any update (core or modules) all extensions save files under this folder.

The thing is that these never get cleaned so in on a couple sites I've found quite some files here, that to my understanding have no purpose at all. What I'm doing now is manually removing them whenever I do an update/upgrade.

So why are these files not cleaned up automatically by the system? Am I missing something here?

Vicenç Masanas
    Disgrafic ITec SL Banyoles - Spain

I've also noticed this accumulation of resource files in that folder. I've researched a little and found a possible explanation here: https://dnntracker.atlass...s%3Acomment-tabpanel
      But I've also found the request to clean that folder up at https://github.com/dnnsof...latform/issues/2779. This has been waiting for almost one year now, for someone to step forward and implement a simple procedure for cleaning it. Maybe it's a good moment now, when sites import/export proccess is being reviewed, isn't it?

Regards,
      Francisco

Growing Member

Is it safe to delete all files in this folder? I'm looking to save space. It bloats the backups, and the bigger file sizes costs hosting $$$ and blows size limits. Hopefully this will be sorted out one day?

Thanks

Veteran Member

Posted By DNNDude on 25 Nov 2020 11:14 PM
          Is it safe to delete all files in this folder? I'm looking to save space. It bloats the backups, and the bigger file sizes costs hosting $$$ and blows size limits. Hopefully this will be sorted out one day?

Thanks

As DNN is managed by the community, it depends on someone that feels a need to fix it.
          I guess that has not been the case yet..

Veteran Member

Posted By DNNDude on 25 Nov 2020 11:14 PM

Thanks

BTW, I don't have an answer to your question but I asked the same here: https://github.com/dnnsoftware/Dnn.Platform/issues/2779

Veteran Member

The backup of extension packages in /app_data subfolder was introduced mainly for (Evoq) portal export and import, but it is useful, if you need to re-install an extension package and lost your download. It is still an issue not to delete previous versions upon install of an updated package, therefore it makes sense for hosts, to clean it manually after upgrades.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved