DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Making HTML module have transparent BG.

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

How do I change the background in the HTML module from the default white background in the content area to transparent so the content looks correct against the background image? I'm not talking about the editor settings, but the content area that the visitors will see. 

Veteran Member

You don't say which version of DNN you are using, but ... you probably need to override a CSS style.

If there is a modules.css file in the DesktopModules\HTML folder, you may need to override a style there. Don't edit the file as it will be overwritten in upgrades.

Look at the css for the container you are using to wrap the HTML module as there might be a style there.

Look in portal.css and in skin.css for the skin you are using ...
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Whoops, My apologies. It's a DNN 9.4 version. And to add to what I described earlier, I want to be able to have the Module set to display module so the title bar will show, but the images will show but the BG will be transparent.

Veteran Member

That's actually the container that does that. So, start by looking at the css for the container, and then skin.css in the skin (theme) you are using. Then portal.css.

You should be able to find any background by using your browser's developer tools to inspect the elements, find the background css and then fix it. "Fix" by overriding rather than editing files that might have other purposes.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Ok, Awesome! I'll look at that and give an update. Thanks.

Growing Member

Well, as luck would have it, no luck.I went thru every ASCX file, and CSS file in the DNN install, and the Skin package, and no luck. S far, the only way I have found to get the result I want is to turn off the "dispplay module" setting. But then, it loses the header for the title. Could there be a setting in the module editor settings in the site settings/html editor settings that could accomplish what I am trying to do?

(leaving the office for the day, I'll follow back up in the morning)

Veteran Member

The best way to do this is to inspect the module using your browser's developer tools. Start at the module level and work up through the container and you should be able to find where a background color is being applied.

You should only have to look at:
                -module contents
                -module.css
                -container.css
                -skin.css
                -portal.css
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Well, I never did figure out how to do it, so there's probably something somewhere that I missed. So just made a table with the top cell  duplicating the title bar that the module would have and it worked just as well.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved