DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrading from 9.4.4 to 9.5.0 - Errors in FileManager

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I just previously upgraded my DNN site from 7.3.3 up to 9.4.4 following the suggested upgrade path. I had originall tried to upgrade to version 9.7.2, but I am running a site that is utilizing VB.net and 9.7.2 had a known breaking change addressed in issue https://github.com/dnnsof...latform/issues/4138. So I had tried to upgrade to the latest full release of 9.7.0 that did not include that breaking change. The site upgraded and I was able to browse the site normally, but the errors came once I logged in. As soon as I navigated to the /secure-login page, there was already a red box stating that "An error has occurred. An error has occurred", it shows it two times. Nothing is show in the browser devtools as far as console errors or missing files on the network tab. The log shows these two entries:

2020-11-27 06:42:22,043 [CLSRSDEV01][Thread:61][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FileManager - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.UrlUtils.EncryptParameter(String value, String encryptionKey)
       at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.UrlUtils.EncryptParameter(String value)
       at DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.StandardFolderProvider.GetFileUrl(IFileInfo file)
       at DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FileManager.GetUrl(IFileInfo file)
    2020-11-27 06:42:22,095 [CLSRSDEV01][Thread:61][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - FriendlyMessage="An error has occurred." ctrl="ASP.admin_skins_logo_ascx" exc="DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FolderProviderException: The underlying system threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.UrlUtils.EncryptParameter(String value, String encryptionKey)
       at DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.StandardFolderProvider.GetFileUrl(IFileInfo file)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Controls.Logo.OnLoad(EventArgs e)"

I was able to login to the Admin section. I started navigating and once I got to the Site Info page, it was all blank. It did not show any options and there was a red box with the stack trace talking about File manage and the logo missing. I tried to troubleshoot it for a while but then rolled the site back to 9.3.2 and tried to upgrade to 9.4.4. This upgrade worked without any issue. I then tried to upgrade to 9.5.0, but this upgrade gave me errors very similar to 9.7.0 errors mentioned above, but at least this time I could see all the settings on the Site Info page.

Onto the issue at hand, I cannot upgrade past 9.4.4 without receiving this error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()        /API/InternalServices/FileUpload/loadimage?file=179

This occurs when I log into the admin section and go to Site Info. 

In 9.5.0 I can still see the Site Info, only the logo is missing. If I go to later versions the Site Info page is blank and I do not see anything. Upon checking the logs I find these errors:

2020-11-25 14:09:57,656 [CLSRSDEV01][Thread:278][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FileManager - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    2020-11-25 14:09:57,658 [CLSRSDEV01][Thread:278][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FolderProviderException: The underlying system threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Web.InternalServices.FileUploadController.LoadImage(String fileId)
       at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at System.Web.Http.Tracing.ITraceWriterExtensions.d__18`1.MoveNext()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.AuthorizationFilterAttribute.d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.d__0.MoveNext()
    2020-11-25 14:09:57,693 [CLSRSDEV01][Thread:278][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - DotNetNuke.Services.FileSystem.FolderProviderException: The underlying system threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Web.InternalServices.FileUploadController.LoadImage(String fileId)
       at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.d__0.MoveNext()

The logo file exists and works just fine in 9.4.4.  I have compared all dlls in the bin folder after the upgrade to what comes in the 9.5.0 install package to see if something is out of date. I really do not have a clue how to fix this error and any help would be much appreciated.

New Around Here

Have you tried upgrading to v9.8 already? The breaking change has been fixed in this release, which should make it possible for you to continue using the VB.NET code as usual. What's more, is that you can uninstall the old file manager and install the new one which does not use Telerik. Hope this helps.
      Paras Daryanani

Celestify

Celestify - we build digital ecosystems.

New Around Here

Thank you so much for your reply Paras, but unfortunately I am unable to upgrade to 9.8.0 and perform the Telerik removal because I am unable to navigate to the Site Assets or Global Assets. If I attempt to navigate to them as instructed in the removal process of step 3: Navigate to Manage > Site Assets via the Persona Bar and remove the Digital Assets Management module from the page, I get sent to 404 page. I am trying to figure out what happened with the File Manager between version 9.4.4 and 9.5.0.  

New Around Here

UPDATE: So I reverted my site back to 9.4.4 and started looking through it for any errors that could have been missed in previous testing and found that when I navigate to the Site Assets and Global Assets pages there is an error in the DevTools console as follow:

Uncaught Sys.InvalidOperationException: Sys.InvalidOperationException: Type Telerik.Web.UI.Orientation has already been registered. The type may be defined multiple times or the script file that defines it may have already been loaded. A possible cause is a change of settings during a partial update.
              at Function.Error$create [as create] (https://beta2.securesoftw...ffffcd368728:237:15)
              at Function.Error$invalidOperation [as invalidOperation] (https://beta2.securesoftw...ffffcd368728:387:21)
              at Function.Type$registerEnum [as registerEnum] (https://beta2.securesoftw...fffcd368728:1647:50)
              at https://beta2.securesoftw...0&cdv=234:804:28

Despite this error, the Site & Global Asset work as intended. I tested all functionality, creation of folders, deletion of folders, upload files, delete files, move files, etc. 

I do not know if this is causing me the issues I experience in later versions because it was left unfixed prior to upgrading. Once I upgrade to any version after 9.4.4 I can no longer open the Site Assets or Global Assets. I am stumped and really could use some assistance in getting this resolved.

Veteran Member

For that last error, I would check if you have two versions of one of the Telerik dlls.
            See: https://www.telerik.com/f...eady-been-registered

New Around Here

Mr. Breumelhof,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did find that site and I checked the bin folder and there are only two Telerik dlls there, Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll. They are the version that was installed during the upgrade from DNN version 9.5.0. 

New Around Here

Fixed similar upgrade issue by adding cryptography to the web.config.

I can't paste xml content in this message, but you can download the full dnn installation package for the version you are trying to upgrade to, then search inside its web.config for "cryptography" and copy the lines into your web.config after you've performed the upgrade. 

I assume this was an upgrade bug introduced in 9.5.0.

New Around Here

Radu, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!  I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved