DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Persona Bar

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi all,

I have a  DNN 9.3.2 website, and when I go into edit mode on the page, the add module bar is not displayed.  I am currently using the Xcillion skin.  I have tried multiple skins on the site and none of them show the add module bar.

How do I fix this?

thanks,

Loren

Veteran Member

In this instance, I'd suggest trying other web browsers (and/or incogito/private viewing mode) to isolate if this is a browser issue or plugin issue.  Do you see any JS errors of any kind?  Also, make sure the web server is configured to properly serve static files.

Advanced Member

I would also check if there are javascript errors in the browser developer tools console. And I would check to make sure that user has permissions on that page to edit it.

New Around Here

I'm having the same problem. How do I adminstrate anything if the bar is gone? I'm used to typing the url path in manually in other cms like drupal or wordpress to get around that sort of thing. But I can't figure out the path to the admin: ( for example http://www.uat.workauthor...t/Extensions/ ) just goes to the homepage

I think I broke the site when I installed an extension for the text editor. But of course I can't uninstall because the bar is gone. But for some reason the error in the log is seems related to localization? (I do have 2 languages on the site):

http://www.uat.workauthor...ttable?culture=fr-CA 500 (Internal Server Error)

Veteran Member

As the DNN Control Bar is loaded within the page (in an iframe) using JavaScript, a JS error can block it loading.
            There is no really direct way to access it in DNN 9.
            Mostly this is a Theme error.
            You have to fix the JS error first (if that's the issue).
            If you have access to the folder structure, (temporarily) rename the current Theme's folder and DNN will revert to the Fallback skin.
            If that does show the Control Bar, there's most likely a JS error caused by the Theme you use.

Veteran Member

Posted By Loren on 28 Jun 2019 01:51 PM

Hi all,

I have a  DNN 9.3.2 website, and when I go into edit mode on the page, the add module bar is not displayed.  I am currently using the Xcillion skin.  I have tried multiple skins on the site and none of them show the add module bar.

How do I fix this?

thanks,

Loren

Try clearing the cache and login again

Advanced Member

Posted By Agency3 on 05 Jul 2019 04:39 PM

I'm having the same problem. How do I adminstrate anything if the bar is gone? I'm used to typing the url path in manually in other cms like drupal or wordpress to get around that sort of thing. But I can't figure out the path to the admin: ( for example http://www.uat.workauthor...t/Extensions/ ) just goes to the homepage

I think I broke the site when I installed an extension for the text editor. But of course I can't uninstall because the bar is gone. But for some reason the error in the log is seems related to localization? (I do have 2 languages on the site):

http://www.uat.workauthor...ttable?culture=fr-CA 500 (Internal Server Error)

It is a good idea to have regular backups and to additionnally take a backup just before any upgrade or module installation. If you have a backup, then, i would restore that. If not, then having that extension details, maybe we can find a manual way to fix that.

In addition to javascript errors, there is also sometimes some useful information in the /Portals/_default/logs folder..., but this is most likely either a theme or javascript error.

Veteran Member

Since you can't administrate the website like you normally would to help with troubleshooting, you could run some SQL to change the default themes/containers.  This will maybe help to load the website again, at least.  

New Around Here

Thanks guys I finally solved it by editing my web.config using the method in this thread by Michael Washington:

https://www.dnnsoftware.c...onabar-api-404-error

I cut and paste a fresh local installation's DNN9 assemblyBinding section in the web.config over top of my old web.config. For some reason the help in the DNN faq didn't work ( https://www.dnnsoftware.c...ing-persona-bar.html ) even though it suggested a similar solution.

Veteran Member

Posted By Agency3 on 07 Jul 2019 04:17 PM

I cut and paste a fresh local installation's DNN9 assemblyBinding section in the web.config over top of my old web.config. 

Nice tip. This is one of many reasons why our upgrade process includes synchronizing the web.config. :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved