DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Help deciphering error in admin log

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I don't know how to trace what is causing this error. I understand that it's a missing file, but where is it being loaded from so I can fix it?

AbsoluteURL:/default.aspx
    DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
    ExceptionGUID:0afc94dd-2c07-4182-b804-400545f4c49e
    AssemblyVersion:
    PortalId:
    UserId:-1
    TabId:-1
    RawUrl:
    Referrer:
    UserAgent:
    ExceptionHash:
    vRU7RLuWxYRH9ZL+SWkrE2QSkh4=
    StackTrace:

InnerMessage:The file '/DesktopModules/40Fingers/SkinObjects/StyleHelper/StyleHelper.ascx' does not exist.

InnerStackTrace:

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at DotNetNuke.UI.ControlUtilities.LoadControl[T](TemplateControl containerControl, String ControlSrc) at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.LoadSkin(PageBase page, String skinPath)

Source:
    FileName:
    FileLineNumber:
    FileColumnNumber:0
    Method:
    Server Name: vserver243

Veteran Member

This is happening because your theme has a reference to the StyleHelper skin object. It's not found because either the path has changed for some reason, or it was uninstalled/deleted. The latter is the most likely culprit (unless the skin object was never installed).

Try installing the StyleHelper skin object and see if this error goes away.

https://www.40fingers.net...ucts/DNN-Stylehelper

New Around Here

Thanks but I tried that before and it breaks the entire site so I was trying to remove it altogether. If I install it I get 500-Internal server error and I can't access my site at all

Veteran Member

Posted By Agency3 on 28 Jun 2019 05:41 PM

Thanks but I tried that before and it breaks the entire site so I was trying to remove it altogether. If I install it I get 500-Internal server error and I can't access my site at all

Hmmm... That's odd.  This skin object is pretty widely used and most people love it.  :)

Anyhow, I'd suggest removing it from your theme then.  In most cases, you'll find two lines of code referencing this.  Make a backup of the files first, of course.  Then, delete those lines of code and see if the exceptions go away.  Good luck!  

New Around Here

Likely different, but I figured I'd post here as 'similar'...

DNN7.3.4 at GoDaddy log files; site started getting errors, then more, then 'blew up' over a period of a week or two.  31,000 entries.  Site shut down with catch-22; can't log in to clear logs because the logs are full and need to be cleared.  This has been an issue with GoDaddy before so I needed to just go in and delete some entries, then log in, then clear logs.  THIS time I cleared some log entries manually, was able to log in as expected, then told DNN to clear the logs, it 'hung' then went to check and now have this error:

Error: Log Viewer is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The transaction log for database 'BoroughXXXXXX' is full due to 'ACTIVE_TRANSACTION'. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The transaction log for database 'BoroughXXXXXX' is full due to 'ACTIVE_TRANSACTION'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at PetaPoco.Database.Execute(String sql, Object[] args) at DotNetNuke.Data.PetaPoco.PetaPocoHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType type, Int32 timeout, String sql, Object[] args) at DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider.PurgeLog() at DotNetNuke.Services.Log.EventLog.DBLoggingProvider.PurgeLogBuffer() at DotNetNuke.Services.Log.EventLog.LogController.PurgeLogBuffer() at DotNetNuke.Modules.Admin.LogViewer.LogViewer.OnLoad(EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

The last guy I talked to at GoDaddy asked me what DNN was... 

Site is 'up' but now I can't access event logs at all and the table keeps filling back up.  Backups are useless as they are either too new (theirs) or too old (mine).  Shut down and switched to a 90% ready DNN9.3.2 version at DNN4Less that seems rock-solid but undone...

I am curious, but if this is fatal I can readily just 'finish' the new upgraded version that is the future version, anyway.

Thoughts?

Bob H

Veteran Member

The message is related to the database TRANSACTION LOG. You fix that by backing up the database, which should truncate the transaction log. That is different than DNN's Event Log.

DNN4Less is a much better choice than GoDaddy for hosting DNN sites.

DNN4Less should be able to help move your existing site from GoDaddy and getting it working. Then, you can do an upgrade once that is done.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Agency3 on 28 Jun 2019 05:41 PM

We are the makers of the Style Helper.
                It's weird that you get a 500 error I have not seen that before (caused by our SH).
                (Just to be sure I just
                Could it be that, as suggested, the DB log files are "full"?
                I have seen all kind of weird issues (incl 500) appear in that case in the past.
                If you are sure that our SH causes a 500 error, please provide me with the info you have and we will research it.

Veteran Member

Bob,

It is as Joe says - the SQL Server transaction log is full. This might be because of file size limitations, full disk quota or a full hard disk. It can only be resolved only in SQL Server, and is not a DNN issue (and not an issue of the skinhelper module). What you have to do is shrinking the log files, there are different ways to do so. But the "exciting" question is: Why did the log file get so big, and this is in many cases because the database recovery model is set to full, but no transaction log backups are made, at least for a too long time.
                  If you need help send me a pm or feel free to contact me using the contact form on my web site. There is too much I have to know to help efficiently that should not be disclosed in a public forum.
                  Happy DNNing!
                  Michael

Michael Tobisch
                  DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                  DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks for the help. I'm still not sure how I fixed this. All I did was install a new theme and now the new version of 40FINGERS Style Helper Skin Object works.

There is a lot of 'residual' javavscript code and objects left in the custom skin because I upgraded from DNN 6 straight to 9 so perhaps that has something to do with it. There are also permission problems with my account that won't let me rename directories or use the Digital Assets module so it not exactly a fresh install of a site!

Veteran Member

Posted By Agency3 on 05 Jul 2019 03:55 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm still not sure how I fixed this. All I did was install a new theme and now the new version of 40FINGERS Style Helper Skin Object works.

There is a lot of 'residual' javavscript code and objects left in the custom skin because I upgraded from DNN 6 straight to 9 so perhaps that has something to do with it. There are also permission problems with my account that won't let me rename directories or use the Digital Assets module so it not exactly a fresh install of a site!

I would advise you to check if the database (log) is (almost) full, if it is it's very important that you fix that.
                      Or else these issues will pop-up again in a few days.

If you don't know how, check with your hosting provider or network administrator.

When you have Superuser acces, you can run these SQL statements (one by one):
                      Settings > Sql Console

EXEC sp_spaceused
                      EXEC sp_spaceused ScheduleHistory
                      EXEC sp_spaceused EventLog

And look for > 10MB sizes for the last two

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved