DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Access DNN Website Hosted In IIS On Windows 10 From Any PC On LAN

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi everyone,

My DNN site (9.4.1) works well on windows and IIS 10 and I view it by typing "localhost" on the browser's address bar.

But if I try to visit the same site from a computer inside the LAN, the browser replies with the 404 error page.

I turn off the firewall and give "all" read and write power to the sharing properties of the DNN folder but nothing happens.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

GP

Advanced Member

Localhost means 127.0.0.1 on the machine where you call it. Another computer in your Lan cannot access 'localhost' on another computer in your Lan. You can fool the system by setting a host entry on that remote computer for the hostname 'localhost' and pointing that to the IP address of the machine where your site is. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Mariette Knap
      Microsoft MVP Alumni

New Around Here

Sorry Mariette maybe I wasn't explicit enough ... when I call DNN from another computer inside the LAN I make the call to the server's IP address.

Veteran Member

If you want to use the IP address, you need to "bind" that address to the DNN website in IIS on the hosting machine. You also need to add a portal alias to the DNN install that is the IP address.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Gino Palmia on 28 Apr 2020 10:07 AM

Hi everyone,

My DNN site (9.4.1) works well on windows and IIS 10 and I view it by typing "localhost" on the browser's address bar.

But if I try to visit the same site from a computer inside the LAN, the browser replies with the 404 error page.

I turn off the firewall and give "all" read and write power to the sharing properties of the DNN folder but nothing happens.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

GP

You could try this: https://www.40fingers.net...n-your-local-network

New Around Here

Thank you Mariette, Joe and Timo,
              I finally found the error ....
              I had forgotten to set the portalAlias on the site settings.
              Now everything works properly.
              Thanks again ;)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved