DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Vocabularies in DNN9.3.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hi, 

I am a bit of a newbie to DNN. Our company uses DNN 9.3.2 for customers. 

In DNN 8 there was a functionality, 'Taxonomies'. Here you could create (structured or not so structured) vocabularies. In Page Details, you could select  a term from your vocabulary, to add it to a page. 

In DNN 9.3.2 I see Settings > Vocabularies. Here also is the possibility to create you own vocabulary. But I can't find any place in DNN where you can add the terms from that vocabulary to pages or other types of content. 

I saw a video (from 2016 mind you) about the then new vocabulary function in DNN 9. But in that video the speaker says: "Now, to be honest, i don’t see too much of a point of creating a new vocabulary, because there is no place in DNN that you can be using this vocabulary, at least as fa as I know"

Does anyone know how you can use your own vocabulary in categorizing content? 

Thanks in advance, 

Sytske van Hasselt, 
    Amsterda, The Netherlands

Veteran Member

There is no admin UI to retrieve classified lists in DNN itself.
      But...you can verify in the database that the values you create in the vocabulary are stored in the table dbo.Taxonomy_Terms.
      If you don't have SSMS, you can login as host and put in the SQL console:
      SELECT TOP (1000) [TermID]
      ,[VocabularyID]
      ,[ParentTermID]
      ,[Name]
      ,[Description]
      ,[Weight]
      ,[TermLeft]
      ,[TermRight]
      ,[CreatedByUserID]
      ,[CreatedOnDate]
      ,[LastModifiedByUserID]
      ,[LastModifiedOnDate]
      FROM [dbo].[Taxonomy_Terms]

You could use this info to create filters in 2SXC or ActionGrid.

Developers can utilize the vocabulary/taxonomy in modules. I think Peter Donker did this with his blog module.

More on this on https://www.dnnsoftware.com/wiki/taxonomy

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Just to give my two cents: When using the SQL console, the command should be

SELECT TOP (1000) TermID
        ,VocabularyID
        ,ParentTermID
        ,Name
        ,Description
        ,Weight
        ,TermLeft
        ,TermRight
        ,CreatedByUserID
        ,CreatedOnDate
        ,LastModifiedByUserID
        ,LastModifiedOnDate
        FROM {databaseOwner}{objectQualifier}Taxonomy_Terms

(just in case that the database is not owned by dbo, and/or an object qualifier is used)

Happy DNNing
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks for your replies. So there is no way to add a vocabulary term on the page level?

sorry stupid question. That's what you mean by "no admin UI to retrieve classified lists in DNN"

New Around Here

Just to be sure: what do you mean by 'Filters', that you can create in 2sxc? Would that mean a UI-component, with which a content editor could add one or more terms to a module? 

Veteran Member

Posted By Sytske on 04 Jul 2019 03:52 AM

Thanks for your replies. So there is no way to add a vocabulary term on the page level?

sorry stupid question. That's what you mean by "no admin UI to retrieve classified lists in DNN"

For content editors, there is no option to create a list of pages that have a certain tag. 
              Your devs could build a module like that, utilizing the vocabulary. One step back: what's your usecase? Because I think most of us have already solutions for that, without vocabularies. I'll elaborate a bit on the other post, regarding the filters.

Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
              We just love DNN

Veteran Member

Posted By Sytske on 04 Jul 2019 04:07 AM

Just to be sure: what do you mean by 'Filters', that you can create in 2sxc? Would that mean a UI-component, with which a content editor could add one or more terms to a module? 

As stated in the other post: it depends on your usecase. But a common scenario behaves like tags. 2SXC allows you to create content types from almost anything; you could even use SQL to retrieve data and use this for content types. As this is a list without meaning/context, you can then filter the list using the visual query designer. 

With this in mind you can either create solutions yourself or create a solution that allows your customer to create and filter tags (below a working app). 

https://2sxc.org/en/Learn/Visual-Query-Designer (theory)
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_B_Cv-hdY (introduction to query designer)
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-Tj-xCshc (regarding tags, url parameters) 
                https://2sxc.org/en/apps/...etnuke (working app including tags, tag management etc)

Grtz to all 

T

Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                We just love DNN

New Around Here

Okay. Usecase is this: Site Owner wants content editors to be able to tag pages (independent of the content modules), but not folksonomy-like. Tags should be done based on a given list: choose one or more Terms from the list.
                  Ultimate goal of this tagging:
                  A) site visitors being able to filter search results on these 'fixed list terms',
                  B) Site visitor being able to search the site, not by entering a search term, but choosing a term from the list
                  C) Content editors being able to create links to search page that result in a list showing all content that has been tagged with a term from that 'fixed list'.

So basically: fixed list tagging of pages.
                  And creating list of all pages tagged with a given term from that fixed list.

Hope this is clear :-)

I see it can be used in 2sxc. But we already have a lot of DNNNews content, and you would like to be able to use the same fixed list over different modules (or apps).

sincerely, Sytske

Veteran Member

Posted By Sytske on 04 Jul 2019 06:42 AM

Okay. Usecase is this: Site Owner wants content editors to be able to tag pages (independent of the content modules), but not folksonomy-like. Tags should be done based on a given list: choose one or more Terms from the list.
                    Ultimate goal of this tagging:
                    A) site visitors being able to filter search results on these 'fixed list terms',
                    B) Site visitor being able to search the site, not by entering a search term, but choosing a term from the list
                    C) Content editors being able to create links to search page that result in a list showing all content that has been tagged with a term from that 'fixed list'.

So basically: fixed list tagging of pages.
                    And creating list of all pages tagged with a given term from that fixed list.

Hope this is clear :-)

I see it can be used in 2sxc. But we already have a lot of DNNNews content, and you would like to be able to use the same fixed list over different modules (or apps).

sincerely, Sytske

Ok, I can see that is a challenge :-)

I think the biggest problem is that you are looking for a solution that combines 2 tag systems: the DNN and the DNNNews. If you adjust the DNN taging (for instance by creating a crosstab DNNvocabularyXeasyDNNtags), you would adjust the core in order to have the tags available in the backend.

What I would do is e-mail Damir ([email protected]) and ask for a quote to do 2 things:

1. have an option in EasyDNNNews where you can choose for the EasyDNNTags or the DNNvocabulary. He is fast, reliable and against fair prices
                    2. ask him to migrate the current tags to the vocabulary tags

This way theback end is handled.
                    Next step is to create a list of urls. The tabID can provide the url, the tabname and the tag.
                    With razor (2sxc or actiongrid), you can pull the data and have it loop.

@michaelTobisch: please correct me if this ia a terrible approach :-)

Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                    We just love DNN

New Around Here

Thanks for the speedy and elaborate reply!

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved