DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrade from DNN8 to DNN 9.?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

We are somewhat new to DNN, having inherited a client site from another company, and need to upgrade our DNN 08.00.04 to some flavor of DNN 9. The "recommended upgrade path" (https://dnndocs.com/conte...ade-path/index.html) ends at 09.05 (is that 9.5 in DNN point versioning, because I'm seeing a lot of language on here about upgrading to DNN 9.3.1 or 9.4, but none of those use the 09.05 I'm seeing on that upgrade page).

I'm trying to determine what is the latest stable version that is still supported with security patches, and would greatly appreciate some advice. I.e., I want security patches, and don't want to upgrade further than I have to go on to 9.x to get them.

Thanks in advance!

Veteran Member

You should be able to upgrade from 9.3.2 to 9.5.0 or 9.6.0 directly.
      But please note that 9.6.0 loads jQuery 3.5.0 which breaks parts of bootstrap and some js libraries.

AFAIK 09.06.01 should contain the fixed jQuery 3.5.1 but I don't know what the release date will be.

New Around Here

Thanks Timo! Do you know anything about security patching for these versions of 9.x?

Veteran Member

For 9.6.0 you should not need any patches..

New Around Here

Thanks again Timo, but perhaps I'm not being clear in my request. I have a secure environment, and need to ensure that my DNN is being patched from security perspective (not functionality, attack vectors). I'm trying to determine at what version of 9 DNN is still being patched for security fixes? All of them (because 10 hasn't been released)? Only 9.6 because it's the latest?

I read somewhere that they provide support / security patching for 1 year after the next major release, but I'm not sure if that was real (it seemed rather vague and dated), or if it still applies because version 10 release remains uncertain.

Veteran Member

Posted By Rob Mellinger on 06 May 2020 05:59 PM
              Thanks again Timo, but perhaps I'm not being clear in my request. I have a secure environment, and need to ensure that my DNN is being patched from security perspective (not functionality, attack vectors). I'm trying to determine at what version of 9 DNN is still being patched for security fixes? All of them (because 10 hasn't been released)? Only 9.6 because it's the latest?

I read somewhere that they provide support / security patching for 1 year after the next major release, but I'm not sure if that was real (it seemed rather vague and dated), or if it still applies because version 10 release remains uncertain.

TBH I don't know exactly what the current policy between major versions is. But the latest DNN 9 version is and will be the most secure and will have patches previous minor versions don't. The last DNN9 version before DNN 10 will be patched if there are security issues for a certain period.
              So that seems to be 9.6, but if there would be a 9.7 (not in the planning ATM) it would be that version that's patched.
              I hope that answers your question? If not let me know. :-)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved