DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrade from 5.5.0.653 to latest version

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi,

I have a dnn site which is using very old version 5.5.0.653, i have to upgrde to latest version due to cybersecurity isseus.

could you please help me exactly what are the steps i have to do for upgrdae. i am completly new to dnn.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

Veteran Member

My recommendation is that you hire someone to do this or help you do this.

If you want to do this on your own, start by looking at dnndocs.com for the appropriate sections. You'll want to find the "suggested upgrade path," too.

Basically, the flow is to get the next upgrade package from the DNN archive at Github, unblock and copy the files into your DNN root directory, and reload the website. That likely will trigger the upgrade process, unless your web.config file has been modified to prevent it. In that case, you'll need to start the upgrade manually.

You will want to test at every stage to verify that the upgrade process worked. YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP AFTER EVERY STAGE!!! This will save you hours of work in the event that an upgrade goes awry.

At certain stages, you will need to deal with "breaking changes." This may mean upgrading modules or accounting changes to DNN's menu system, or other items.

You can always ask for help here for specific issues.

I think that there are some videos around that explain the upgrade process.

But, go back and read the first sentence in this reply. It's likely to save you a lot of time and even some money.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

i followed as per the upgrade shared path.
        i have done as below.
        1). copied all the 5.6.0.8 upgrade package to existing dnn site.
        2). accessed the http://localhost/site1/In...ll.aspx?mode=upgrade or any other page.
        it is redirecting to 404 custom page. it seems authentications issue. the problem is the upgrade page/any page is not allowing me to login . How can i start the upgrade process?How to check the dnn logs to identify the exact error?

Veteran Member

Let's go back to the site before you copied upgrade files.

What is the URL that you use to access the site? Does the site work, and can you login?
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Yeah, i was able to login to site with super user ->host .
            it seems we are using custom authentication.
            Atleast the upgrade page should ask me to login first, it is not happening now. instead it is redirecting to custom 404 error page.

url is http://localhost/site1

Veteran Member

what happens if you just go to http://localhost ?
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

localhost/127.0.0.2 is the local IIS. I deployed dnn site in site1 in IIS,  I am browsing dnn site using http://localhost/site1. when i browse this stie. login page will open first .after authenticate  default page will be displayed. 

after replacement of upgraded package.not able to browse the upgrde page, gettting internal server errror. 

I found those errors in  sitelog .

AssemblyVersion5.6.8
                PortalID-1
                PortalName
                UserID-1
                UserName
                ActiveTabID

ActiveTabName
                RawURL
                /Site1/Install/Install.aspx?mode=upgrade
                AbsoluteURL/Site1/Install/Install.aspxAbsoluteURLReferrerUserAgentMozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like GeckoDefaultDataProviderDotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProviderExceptionGUIDff9ed1a8-7c13-4b83-b2c8-a741a2a90aedInnerExceptionSearchTabIDFileNameFileLineNumber0FileColumnNumber0MethodSystem.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinalStackTraceMessageSystem.IndexOutOfRangeException: SearchTabID
                   at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinal(String fieldName)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(String name)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_Item(String name)
                   at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.Fill(IDataReader dr)
                   at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)

Source

New Around Here

FYI, upgrade from 5.5.0.653 to 5.06.08 didn't work as per upgarde shared path.

But i didn't face any issues when i upgrade from 5.5.0.653 to 06.02.08. everything got success.

New Around Here

I did upgrades as below
                    5.5.0.-> 6.2.8
                    6.2.8->6.29
                    6.2.9->7.0.0
                    7.0.0->7.0.6
                    7.0.6->7.2.3

I got the error when I upgrading from 7.0.6 to 7.3.4

00:00:40.863 - Converting old Folders to new format. Total: 2 [Remaining: 2]
                    00:00:40.883 - Conversion of old Folders Completed. Total Converted: 2
                    Error!
                    00:00:41.580 - Application Upgrades : 07.01.01 Error!
                    00:00:41.975 - Application Upgrades : 07.01.02 Success
                    00:00:42.316 - Application Upgrades : 07.02.00 Error!
                    00:00:42.484 - Application Upgrades : 07.02.01 Success
                    00:00:42.549 - Application Upgrades : 07.02.02 Error!
                    00:00:42.598 - Application Upgrades : 07.03.00 Success
                    Error details as below:
                    AssemblyVersion7.1.2PortalID-1PortalNameUserID-1UserNameActiveTabID-1ActiveTabNameRawURL/dnndev/Install/UpgradeWizard.aspx/RunUpgradeAbsoluteURL/dnndev/Install/UpgradeWizard.aspx/RunUpgradeAbsoluteURLReferrerhttp://localhost/dnndev/I...l/UpgradeWizard.aspxUserAgentMozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like GeckoDefaultDataProviderDotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProviderExceptionGUID748c3cc4-a2fe-4e28-9e25-40dba3d103c5InnerExceptionVersion string portion was too short or too long.FileNameFileLineNumber0FileColumnNumber0MethodSystem.VersionResult.SetFailureStackTraceMessageSystem.ArgumentException: Version string portion was too short or too long.
                    at System.Version.VersionResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String argument)
                    at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result)
                    at System.Version.Parse(String input)
                    at System.Version..ctor(String version)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.HydrateObject(Object hydratedObject, IDataReader dr)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.CreateObjectFromReader(Type objType, IDataReader dr, Boolean closeReader)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillListFromReader[TItem](IDataReader dr, IList`1 objList, Boolean closeReader)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillCollection[TItem](IDataReader dr)
                    at DotNetNuke.Services.Installer.Packages.PackageController.GetPackagesCallback(CacheItemArgs cacheItemArgs)
                    at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.DataCache.GetCachedDataFromRuntimeCache(CacheItemArgs cacheItemArgs, CacheItemExpiredCallback cacheItemExpired)
                    Source

I have stucked here. could you please suggest how to resolve this.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved