DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Module Debug

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Need Help on Getting Debug Step working
    In VS Build a module in Debug.
    I copy the .pdb to the run URL BIN that is in different dir
    I start the URL & have Mod open
    In VS F9 to set Breakpoints They are Red
    In VS Attach to the above URL on IIS APPPOOL\URL BREAKPOINT change to White
    F5 Continue, F11 , F10 all Grey out

Growing Member

Hi,

You should also copy the assembly itself to the bin folder of the website. If all goes well, the breakpoints should be solid. Good luck.

Greetz,

Stefan

New Around Here

I copy the .dll (assume this is what you indicate as assembly) and still no trace.  Does Web.config need to be changed?

In the run dir web has  key="EnableServicesFrameworkTracing" value="false"

set to true still the same

Lee

Growing Member

No, web.config doesn't need to be changed.
          The basics are pretty simple:

• You need to have the dll and pdb from the debug build in the bin folder
          • Visual studio needs to be started with elevated permissions to be able to attach to process
          • You attach your visual studio to the w3wp.exe process for exactly that website

If it's not working, one of these conditions is not met.

If you can't find what's wrong, I'd try to change something in the module that you can verify in the site and rebuild, to be absolutely sure you have the right dll.

New Around Here

Stefan

Thanks

I run VS as Administrator, is that the 'elevated permissions' you reference?

Lee

Growing Member

By the way, I'm not familiar with the setting you mentioned but I can't imagine how it would influence debugging.

Assembly means .dll file, indeed :-)

Growing Member

Yes, as an administrator is correct. If you don't, Vs won't allow you to attach at all, so you'd notice  that.

New Around Here

Stefan:
                  What are your hourly rate for what we are discussing?
                  I have a spec detailing the info on my Server with root access that you would work in.
                  If you would rather not post it here send in a email to [email protected]
                  I have two pending actions to complete also that I probably need help.

I would need a signed NDA as the mod is patented.
                  Lee
                  Lee

Growing Member

Thanks, I'll drop you an email. Before talking hourly rates, we can first try to get you going, right? :-)

Stefan

Veteran Member

Lee,

in the project properties ("Build" tab) you can change the output path for the debug configuration to something like "..\..\..\bin" (relative to your csproj file). You may just click on "Browse..." and select the installation's bin folder. Then both the assembly and the pdb files are in the right place, and you don't have to copy them...

Happy DNNing!
                      Michael

Michael Tobisch
                      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                      DNN Connect
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved