DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Working with DNN Active Directory

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I am trying to set up the DNN Active Directory module to use the auto login process. I followed the intructions on the github wiki page but I am either missing some key elements of instructions on how to get this operational or my quarantine time has far eceeded my sanity level :-)

I am running:
    DNN 08.00.03
    DNN Active Directory 6.1.2

First I would like to understand the initial process.
    What is required of the user to gain automatic website access and auto create the DNN account? Do they have to tap three times on their monitor? or just navigate to the website? or find that hidden login page?

Nothing I have tried is allowing the user to access the website.

Veteran Member

Hi,

in DNN 8 you have to go to Admin :: Extensions and click the pencil near the AD Authentication Provider.

In DNN 9 this is found under Settings :: Extensions, select "Authentication Systems" in the dropdownlist and then click the Edit pencil, and select the Site Settings tab.

I am using DNN Active Directory Authentication 7.0.0, so there might be some small differences. I have checked "Activate" and "Auto Login", selected the "ASDIAuthenticationProvider", and the "Delegation" type. Root Domain is "dc=intranet,dc=local" (the domain is "intranet.local", this is also the value of Default Domain), then you need a user that can access the AD, in my case this is a service user in the domain ("INTRANET\ADServiceUser"), and the email domain ("@mycompany.org"). In the Auto-Login IP Addresses field I entered some IP ranges, I realized that the CIDR notation ("192.168.0.0/25" for 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.127) did not work, therefore I used the notation "192.168.0.0-192.168.0.127". If you need multiple ranges, separate them by a semicolon (e.g. "192.168.0.10-192.168.0.50;192.168.0.120-192.168.0.160"). I am not synchrizing roles, but check the box if you need this. Some versions ago, it was not necessary to enter any IP address, when everyone should be automatically logged in, or when you entered an IP range you did not need to check auto login, but now it seems neecessary to provide both. So if you need the full IP address range you should enter 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 or 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 or 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 (whatever is your IP range).

That should be it.

The other thing necessary is that you have to enable Windows Authentication and disable Anonymous Authentication for the file "WindowsSignin.aspx" (in DesktopModules/AuthenticationServices/ActiveDirectory). This is described in the Wiki.

An alternative could be the Glanton AD-Pro provider, this is not for free but offers more possibilities.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

I am having also this issue. How do I use a PowerShell script built using the Windows Active Directory module as an Active Roles Server Script Module? I am trying this I am getting an error that "GEt-ADGroupMember" is not recognized. I think this is because it does not recognize the cmdlet without the ActiveDirectory module.

New Around Here

PowerShell requires special module to work with Active Directory. Put following code snippet before your commands:
          Import-Module ActiveDirectory

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved