DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Trouble installing localhost

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have done this dozens of time, but this has me stumped. I've done the usual, downloaded an evotiva backup (files and db), restored the db to a sql express installation, created a user and made it the owner of the db, unpacked the files to a local website already registered with IIS, modified web.config with and appropriate connection string, but when I launch the site, I get an error message saying trouble logging in. Here's a screenshot of the error:

screenshot of error

And here's a bit from the middle: [Exception: Failed to execute SQL: SELECT Id,ApiId,PortalId,Name,ContextUser,ContextPortal,ContextPage,ContextModule,IsEnabled,(SELECT MIN(NEXT_FIRE_TIME)

My first pass at dbowner username and password was very simple, I thought that might be the problem so I did it again with more complex name and password, but same error.

Help! Not sure where to start. This is my first time doing this since DNN 9, is there anything different with this version?

Thanks for any guidance.

New Around Here

Looks like screenshot didn't work, here's a link: 

And here it is without the image tool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pdiun99ag9knfe/Screenshot%202019-07-06%2020.43.49.png?dl=0

New Around Here

Answered my own question. When I installed the SQL Server instance, I neglected to check the option for both Windows security and SQL security (default is windows only), so when I tried to launch the site and login according to web.config, it triggered the error. Changed to both, now working fine.

Sorry for the disruption, problem solved.

Veteran Member

Posted By Worth Robbins on 07 Jul 2019 07:35 AM

Answered my own question. When I installed the SQL Server instance, I neglected to check the option for both Windows security and SQL security (default is windows only), so when I tried to launch the site and login according to web.config, it triggered the error. Changed to both, now working fine.

Sorry for the disruption, problem solved.

Just glad you found the culprit and were able to move forward :-)

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Worth,

you don't have to excuse, the community is here to help each other, and it's great that you found a solution yourself.

When IIS and SQL Server are located on the same machine, I would not recommend using a SQL Server login (which you have when you change to "both"). Add a Windows login to the SQL Server (SSMS: Security -> Logins) with the name of "IIS AppPool\ApplicationPoolName" (the name of the application pool the DNN site is assigned to, e.g. "IIS AppPool\.Net v4.5") and assign it to the db_owner role (or use a more secure configuration).

Then change the connection string to use integrated security, this should look like

Data Source=SERVERNAME;Initial Catalog=DATABASENAME;Integrated Security=True

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

Veteran Member

There's nothing to be sorry about... You just added content that will help countless others. So, it's actually a great thing that you posted the problem and solution. :D Thank you!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved