DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

modules from github.com

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>

New Around Here

When I try to download a module such as the "DNN Events module" I am able to download the zip file from the github site .Then when I try to install it on my DNN 9.3.2 site Install Extensions  I get the message that " An unknown error has occured please check your installation zip file and try again.

Does this mean there are problems with this module zip file?

Veteran Member

Hi Rob,

I just tried on my local 9.3.2. install and the module installs without problems. Als dropping the module works fine and adding event as well. So... sounds like there is something not right at your end.

First run checks:
      - Is there anything more in the Admin logs (persona bar - manage)?
      - Do you use the default theme or something else?
      - Is you install local, server or Azure?
      - Any other third party modules?
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Hi Rob,

Which ZIP are you downloading, precisely? You should go to Releases section (https://github.com/DNNCom...es in this case) and download last version. Be aware that lasts versions of DNN Events module are just for testing, as they are pre-release versions.

Regards,
        Francisco

Veteran Member

Even quicker: Click the "Extension Library" link at the top of this page ...
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

The failure message displayed when an extension isn't installed summarizes a few reasons. Usually, you don't see it, but when I do, the most common solutions I've run into include: 

• The zip file isn't actually a DNN-specific zip (install) file.
            • The zip file is larger than the allowed upload size on the website.
            • You downloaded and saved it, but didn't unblock the zip (common on newly configured servers/computers).  

New Around Here

I downloaded the last release of Events as  suggested and then it uploaded fine. Thank you but now I have another problem. When I upload a module using the same process, I get the following window

UPLOAD EXTENSION PACKAGE
              To begin installation, upload the package by dragging the file into the field below.

Upload a File
              This package does not appear to be a valid DNN Extension as it does not have a manifest. Old (legacy) Themes and Containers do not contain manifests. If this package is a legacy Theme or Container Package please check the appropriate radio button below, and click Next.

Theme Container

I can only pick theme or container of which it is neither.
              This just changed recently. I was able to load modules before which now give me the theme container option

Hi Rob,
                It looks as a similar issue. Make sure that you're uploading a valid DNN extension ZIP file (usually, downloaded from "Releases" sections at Github). If it's a commercial module (bought from a vendor) they may have provided you with a ZIP package (usually named UNZIPME or something like this) that you must unzip to get the actual module instalation zip file).

New Around Here

Francisco,

Thanks, but I checked the zip file and that was not the case. My question would be why does DNN install not see this upload as a module and only allow you to upload it as a theme or a container?

When DNN asks you to tell it the kind of the extension that you're trying to upload is because it doesn't know if it is a module, theme, etc. Where have you got the module zip file from?

Veteran Member

I thought the ability to install a theme zip without a manifest was removed... Am I remembering that wrong?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 3123 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved