DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Horizontal dashed line at top of page

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

When I go into design mode under host account - I edit the page to look like this:

Then, when I look at the page as a regular user, it get this - with the dashed horizontal line above the text:

How do get ride of this?

Veteran Member

Use the browser tools to identify it's origin. Possible, this is part of the container being used. If that's the case, you can find the CSS style that produces it and override it. If you don't want to edit the containers (which is probably a good idea), you can add an appropriate rule to portal.css.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I should have given a little more information. Sorry.

This happens with a fresh install of DNN (v9.02.00(366) and a new page. I am VERY new to using DNN. I would think this odd to have to go into tearing down into the CSS and such - just from creating a new page and then adding some text to the page.

When the new page shows up, I hover over the only and uppermost module (right?) - where is shows the pencil, gear, and 4 directional arrow buttons in the upper right corner. Then I hover over the pencil button and select Edit Content. I typed this text in, saved, and this is what it does. I have tried this with multiple clean installs of DNN (on my hosting platform). I can't find any settings that seem to relate to this - like in the Module settings.

Again it seems strange to me that right off the bat - I would have to re-engineer the CSS and such of the clean DNN system to resolve this. The base Homepage that comes with the DNN install doesn't do this - but I can't find the difference between them.

I'm only just starting to try to put this site together and if I really have to reengineer the base CSS to do the simplest of things, this make me concerned that this system may be a bit ominous to try to tackle. I would like to work with DNN as I do have a bit of .Net programing in my toolshed - but the site is primary at the moment.

New Around Here

I used the F12 tools and found that if I delete this element - that it got ride of this line: (I just removed the begining and ending tag characters as I could not get the code/end code tages to work)

div id="breadcrumb" class="col-md-12"

span id="dnn_dnnBreadcrumb_lblBreadCrumb" itemprop="breadcrumb" itemscope="" itemtype="https://schema.org/breadcrumb"

/span

/div

It's just above a div id="mainContent-inner"

But I don't how to edit that. I just delete it within the browser and the line does away - but that's on the client - not within DNN - so it doesn't stick.

New Around Here

When I click Reply to you - the editor that comes up does not have a way to post code. I see in the Quick Reply there is a Code option - what is the proper method here?

New Around Here

I used the F12 tools and found that if I delete this element - that it got ride of this line:

It's just above a div id="mainContent-inner"

But I don't how to edit that. I just delete it within the browser and the line does away - but that's on the client - not within DNN - so it doesn't stick.

Veteran Member

I took a look at some pages on my test install of DNN 9.6.2.

As you are new newcomer to DNN, and are still learning, I'd like to explain what is going on here so that you will understand that what you see are conscious design choices, not error or problems.

DNN uses Themes and Containers to define the look and feel of pages. When you create a new page, the selected theme is applied to the page.

In the case of your DNN installation, by default the selected theme is Xcillion and it includes several page designs. There is also a site template that is applied, and that is where the pages designs are selected for the newly installed site.

The home page of your site uses the Home design from Xcillion. This is true for the both the empty and default website.

When you create a new page, you have the opportunity to select the theme and page design for the new page. If you select nothing special, and I'd guess that you did, you get the Inner page design for new pages.

This follows the Xcillion site design that has a design for the Home page and a different design for other pages. Of course this can be change by you using site settings for each page. You can change to overall site theme from the Site Settings Persona Bar page.

Now ... the Home page design for Xcillion is what you see on your home page. What you see on the page you created is the Inner page design. That page design has a "Pane" for the DNN Breadcrumb object. That has the dotted border. You can think of that as a design feature like the grey background sections on all pages.

So, if you change the theme applied to your page to be Home rather than Inner, that dotted line will disappear. If you want the page with breadcrumbs, you can add a CSS rule to change the border.

I'd probably just change the theme for your under construction page.

I'm happy to help you learn more about DNN. Just feel free to ask questions. I and others will be happy to answer them.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Just switch the theme on your page from Inner to Home and that pane goes away.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you for your thorough answer!

That makes sense. Before I got your answer, I copied the Home page and tweaked it into my Under Construction page. A long way around to doing what you suggested.

So, what is the breadcrumb object for?

Thanks!

New Around Here

Is there a resource you could point me to that explaines the approach that is used for the theming system for DNN and how it all times together (site theme, page theme, layout, page container, page stylesheet, etc...) and what the different objects do/are for?

Thanks again!

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved