DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

HTML Editor Provider (DNNConnect.CKE) broken

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Veteran Member

Hi,

I recently upgraded a portal to DNN 9.6.1. After this, the CKEditor Provider did not allow to search the server for a document to link to, or an image etc.). I was using Ingo Herbote's CK Editor Provider, but as written in the GitHub repo, the project is closed and not maintained anymore.

Some years ago, I migrated a few other sites from Ingo's provider to the DNNConnect provider and never had any problems with this (see my blog post on the DNN Software Community blog). But this time it is a desaster.

Entering/changing content in the HTML module is not possible. The following exception is logged:

DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.Utilities.SettingsUtil.LoadEditorSettingsByKey(PortalSettings portalSettings, EditorProviderSettings currentSettings, List`1 editorHostSettings, String key, IList`1 portalRoles) at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.Web.EditorControl.LoadAllSettings() at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.Web.EditorControl.CKEditorInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at DotNetNuke.UI.UserControls.TextEditor.OnLoad(EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

And even worse: When I try to go to the HTML Editor manager to switch back I get this error:

ExceptionHash:b7DOl69Ktl2mjYTDhxUElZ9vRBU=

Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

StackTrace:

InnerMessage:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

InnerStackTrace:

at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.Utilities.SettingsUtil.LoadEditorSettingsByKey(PortalSettings portalSettings, EditorProviderSettings currentSettings, List`1 editorHostSettings, String key, IList`1 portalRoles)
       at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.CKEditorOptions.LoadSettings(Int32 currentMode, Boolean changeMode)
       at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.CKEditorOptions.gvToolbars_RowDataBound(Object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.OnRowDataBound(GridViewRowEventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.CreateRow(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 dataSourceIndex, DataControlRowType rowType, DataControlRowState rowState, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem, DataControlField[] fields, TableRowCollection rows, PagedDataSource pagedDataSource)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean dataBinding)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data)
       at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.CKEditorOptions.BindUserGroupsGridView()
       at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.CKEditorOptions.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.PortalModuleBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any help?

Happy DNNing!
    Michael

Michael Tobisch
    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
    DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Did you alredy try resetting the folder rights of the folders through the Asset Manager?

Veteran Member

No. What exactly? (The site is quite big)

I deleted all records in the table [CKE_Settings], now I got rid of these errors. The problem is that I had more than 24k records in the table, and I don't know how to get them back (different roles had different toolbars etc.)

Next problem: the Rich Text editor only shows a link ("Editor Options") and the buttons at the bottom. I can switch to a simple textbox, but I think no one is able to edit HTML here... :-)

The console in the developer tools gives me a lot of these JS errors:

ckeditor.js:80  GET    http://www.mysite.com/Pro...bed/plugin.js?t=F7J9 net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

and finally this one:

Uncaught [CKEDITOR.resourceManager.load] Resource name "embed" was not found at "http://www.mysite.com/Pro...ugin.js?t=F7J9"

Any ideas about this?

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Solved. Phew...

I compared the DNN.CKEditorSettings.xml file with the one on a blank install, and found out that the value for extraplugins was only "dnnpages" there (instead of the copied value, which was "autosave, mathjax, embed, tableresize, textselection, notification, stylesheetparser, qrcodes, newsarticleslinks, codemirror, codesnippet, dnnpages, xmltemplates, wordcount"). I changed the value in the XML file, but still the errors came along. So I was looking into the DNN CKE_Settings table, and found that there was a setting (DNNCKP#0#ExtraPlugins) with the value above. I changed this value to "dnnpages", restarted the app pool and now it works.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Growing Member

I have Same error but I do same your method but I couldn't fix it.

When visitors open "Edit Profile" in Activities page, got this error:

I checked database [dbo].[CKE_Settings] table it was empty.

also I compare \httpdocs\Portals\0\Dnn.CKEditorSettings.xml this file with new installed dnn, there was same.

I couldn't Fix this issue. need help... any idea please?

E-Commerce Brokers Website Design and Ecommerce Solution Best Regards
            Armin Rahimian

E-Commerce Brokers
            DNN Services in Middle East
            https://www.ecb.ir

Growing Member

Posted By Armin Rahimian on 17 Dec 2020 08:37 AM

I have Same error but I do same your method but I couldn't fix it.

When visitors open "Edit Profile" in Activities page, got this error:

I checked database [dbo].[CKE_Settings] table it was empty.

also I compare \httpdocs\Portals\0\Dnn.CKEditorSettings.xml this file with new installed dnn, there was same.

I couldn't Fix this issue. need help... any idea please?

My DNN is Upgraded DNN from very old DNNs in 3-4 years ago up to now to DNN 9.7.0 already installed.

This submited in EventLogs:

FriendlyName:

ModuleControlSource:DesktopModules/Admin/Security/EditUser.ascx

AbsoluteURL:/Default.aspx

DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke

ExceptionGUID:3351b133-2715-4b0c-876d-783ca1d66250

AssemblyVersion:9.7.0

PortalId:0

UserId:1

TabId:57

RawUrl:/Activities/ctl/Profile/userId/1/pageno/2

Referrer:https://MyDOmain.com/activities/userId/1

UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0

ExceptionHash:1rlyllDdI/3fKuoCUhHSztBXB9c=

StackTrace:

InnerStackTrace:

at DNNConnect.CKEditorProvider.Web.EditorControl.CKEditorInit(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                 at System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e)
                 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
                 at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)
                 at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child)
                 at DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.DNNRichTextEditControl.CreateChildControls()
                 at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
                 at DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.DNNRichTextEditControl.OnInit(EventArgs e)
                 at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)
                 at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child)
                 at DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.PropertyEditorControl.CreateEditor()
                 at DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.ProfileEditorControl.CreateEditor()
                 at DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.PropertyEditorControl.DataBind()
                 at DesktopModules.Admin.Security.DNNProfile.DataBind()
                 at DotNetNuke.Modules.Admin.Users.EditUser.BindData()
                 at DotNetNuke.Modules.Admin.Users.EditUser.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

Source:

FileName:

FileLineNumber:0

FileColumnNumber:0

Method:

Server Name: WIN-QSVL0KHURF3

Armin Rahimian

E-Commerce Brokers

Growing Member

Also, When I Go to Settings / Advance Settings / More / HTML Editor Management, I got an Error and not open this settings. Also I Download the latest CKeditor and install it on this DNN 9.7.0 but I have same error and issue not fixed :(  please help to fix it:

AbsoluteURL /Default.aspx DefaultDataProvider DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvi

ExceptionGUID:565dc141-ef4d-432d-ad3d-30b87272129b

TabId:1816

RawUrl:/Host/HTMLEditorManager?portalid=undefined&portpopUp=true

Referrer:https://MyDomain.com/Desk.../index.html?cdv=1044

UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0

ExceptionHash:4xMn3hcD6IanKeHn3pfyQVF59og=

StackTrace:

InnerStackTrace:

at WatchersNET.CKEditor.CKEditorOptions.FillInformations()
                at WatchersNET.CKEditor.CKEditorOptions.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Source:

FileName:

Method:

Armin Rahimian

E-Commerce Brokers

New Around Here

Posted By Armin Rahimian on 17 Dec 2020 10:34 AM

Also, When I Go to Settings / Advance Settings / More / HTML Editor Management, I got an Error and not open this settings. Also I Download the latest CKeditor and install it on this DNN 9.7.0 but I have same error and issue not fixed :(  please help to fix it:

AbsoluteURL /Default.aspx DefaultDataProvider DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvi

ExceptionGUID:565dc141-ef4d-432d-ad3d-30b87272129b

TabId:1816

RawUrl:/Host/HTMLEditorManager?portalid=undefined&portpopUp=true

Referrer:https://MyDomain.com/Desk.../index.html?cdv=1044

ExceptionHash:4xMn3hcD6IanKeHn3pfyQVF59og=

StackTrace:

InnerStackTrace:

at WatchersNET.CKEditor.CKEditorOptions.FillInformations()
                  at WatchersNET.CKEditor.CKEditorOptions.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                  at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Source:

FileName:

Method:

Just the same here on DNN 9.9.0!

Strangely, the exception fires only on portal #0, but on other portals inside same DNN install it's all OK.

The CKEditor_Settings table not contain any settings for portal #0.

Veteran Member

I tried to replicate on a 9.8.1 and on a 9.9 but that all works as expected. Settings - site settings - site behavior - more.

What you might also try is to add the module (HTML editor management) on a page (for instance /admin) and see if that works. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
                    Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                    We just love DNN
                    https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thank you! This helped me as well. Six of my portals had "newsarticleslinks,dnnpages" in DNNCKP#PORTALID#ExtraPlugins. Just upgraded from 9.6.0 to 9.9.0 and couldn't get the editor working. Same error "Resource name "newsarticleslinks" was not found at https://...."

Guess these were relics from long time ago.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved