DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN Structured Content

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello,

We're using the free DNN platform, and trying to determine if there are any out of the box solutions for structured content. It seems everything I've found so far either refers to the paid Evoq platform (Liquid Content), or other add-ons (2sxc, OpenContent).

What we'd like to do, for example, is create a page type with pre-defined fields that an editor can fill out for patient case studies, and then have a page that loops over all of those stories to display them on the site.

We're used to working with another CMS that has robust support for this type of thing, but are pretty new to DNN, so any insight or guidance you can provide would be great.

Thank you!

New Around Here

Hi preid,

Welcome to the DNN Community!

Take a look at Mandeep's Live Visualizer module. They recently announced that they are developing a low-code app builder to work with it. It could be just what the doctor ordered. Ha!

Regards,

PG

Veteran Member

I would generally refer to DNN as open source rather than free. DNN has a long history and, as of a couple of years ago is managed by "the DNN Community" which includes everyone who contributes, in various ways, to the DNN project. The DNN intellectual property is owned by the .NET Foundation. So, "free" is just a small part of the DNN universe, which also includes the Evoq product line that is based on DNN but is a commercial product.

2sxc and Open Content are two excellent open source modules for implementing structured content in DNN.

Mandeeps' Live Visualizer and Xmod Pro are commercial products and both have quality pedigrees. Chronologically, I believe the Xmod Pro is the eldest of these offerings.

My recommendation is that you check all of these out. The commercial products offer trial versions.

And regular contributors to these forums include advocates of all of these products. My personal favorite is 2sxc, and I will confess to not having used the commercial products, and have a brief exposure to Open Content.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I concur with Joe whole-heartedly. A more thorough reply.

Veteran Member

If you are looking for just structured content, most front end developers prefer OpenContent. They often think 2SXC is way too much. Live Visualizer is great when you are less tech savvy (OpenContent can be a bit daunting if you are not used to handlebars) and/or if you are combining this with other Mandeeps modules.

If you are looking to do more like creating apps/functionality there is 2SXC. As it is a rich piece of software, you need to know more about coding (razor for instance) to get the most out of it.

Not yet mentioned but also great is a combo of ActionForm and ActionGrid. If you know it will become a rich application and you want guaranteed support from the makers (DNNSharp) this is worth a look.
            Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
            Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
            We just love DNN
            https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

I agree with pretty much that Tycho writes. Except maybe for "most." I would accept "many."

And, you don't need Razor to use 2sxc. It helps, though ...
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Apologies for the delayed response, but thank you all for your replies - they were all extremely helpful.  We ultimately decided to go with 2sxc for this project because of the complex functionality and flexibility availble.  Even though there was a steeper learner curve up front, this has worked out well for what we needed, and could be useful for some other complicated apps in the future.  Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved