DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

'Use module on all pages' setting not working for new or duplicated page(s)

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Several modules are part of the layout and should be visibile on all pages.

When I check the checkbox for the setting 'Use module on all pages', the module is visible on all current pages, witch is fine, but as soon as I create or duplicate a page, there are no modules visible at all and this features does not seem to work for one of our websites.

This is the exception:

at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinal(String fieldName)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(String name)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_Item(String name)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Content.ContentItem.FillInternal(IDataReader dr)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.ModuleInfo.Fill(IDataReader dr)
       at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)

Does anyone know what to do?

Edit: Upgrade from 9.6.1 => 9.7.0 does not make any difference.

Veteran Member

If you can reproduce this on a fresh install with any module, it's a DNN bug and I would log it on Github.

Veteran Member

FWIW, I tried this on a 9.6.1 that I have been upgrading from 8.0.4. This worked just fine. The site has a footer that includes 3 modules. I created a new page and the 3 modules appeared on it.

Do the shared modules show "Shared" then you mouse over them in Edit mode?

It is possible that this is a skin/theme problem. Try it with a page that uses Xcillion as a theme.

As a workaround, try going to a page that has the module. Edit the module setting to NOT appear on all pages, save and refresh. Then edit the module setting again and turn the sharing back on.

Note that this should add the shared module to every page. If you have removed that module from certain pages
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I have the same problem with the existing pages.  We also have a three-item footer on the home page.  However, when we attempt to update the footer module from the Home Page and check Display Module on all pages' checkbox, then select the update control and wait until the system is returned.  The selected footer module is not copied to any other pages originally and currently without this footer entry.

We have upgraded DNN from 5.x.x all the way to 9.6.2, currently.  The system operates on Azure.

Three questions:

a. How can this be corrected?  (I have re-indexed the entire site)

b. Where in the database is the information displayed in the Added To Pages section of the HTML Settings panels?

c. Is this a known bug, i.e. deciding after page initiation have the system copy an HTML Module to all pages? 

Veteran Member

Here are a couple of things that you can do to see if things are not set up correctly.

If you are in edit mode and mouseover the module settings, then a black bar with the module title will appear to the right of the three control icons. For modules that are shared, then the word "Shareable" appears also. Go to a page that doesn't get updated and see if Shareable appears there. If not, it's a copy of a module, not a shared version.

Or, go to a page where the module is marked as Shareable (display on all pages is checked for the module settings). Uncheck that box and save. If there are pages where the module still appears, they are not shared versions, but copies. Delete all of them, then go to the page where you unchecked settings, check the box, and save. Does that module appear on all current pages?

When you add an existing module to a page, there is an option to "copy" the module. This results in the module not being part of the shared group, if any.

When you create new pages, shared modules should appear. If that is not the case, this is a bug. Please report it with your details.

As for where the shared data is stored, I think that it's in TabModuleSettings.

And I think that you can go to a page where the module doesn't get updated, and check it's module settings to see if the Display on All Pages box is checked there. If not, delete the module, go to a page where it is checked and so the uncheck/save/check routine. That module should now appear on the other page(s). It should also result in two versions of the module appearing on those pages where there are copies and not shared versions.
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Joe,

Thank you for a very detailed plan of action, which has cleared up our issue.  It appears that over the years, now about 8, that we have used the Porto website templating software that we had accumulated a differing collection of templates.  We have now standardized on a single set of templates and all seems to be in order.

Again thanks.....

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved