• Login
  • Register

DNN Forums

A community discussion page. We're starting from scratch, so...let's get the party started!

I can't delete extra site

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Sort:
Page 1 of 212 > >>

I'm not sure how I did this. At one point I think I added a second site when I was learning DNN:

I have a second site that shows in settings > site settings and of course I can see it in my folder structure's portal folder. How do I delete it? It's not showing in manage > sites where I think you are supposed to be able to delete sites when you hover on them?

Basic Member

Basic Member

If the second site is not shown in the manage>sites page, it would seem that at least important parts of it have been deleted.

Check to see what is in the database's Portals table. There should be one entry for each portal.

Also, look at the files directory. The /portals directory should have subdirectories for other sites.

If there are no other entries than the single portal in the Portals table, you won't be able to use the UI to delete them. You can go into the file system and delete subdirectories of /portals that correspond to other sites. I think that it's not worth your time/effort to delete data from other database tables, and this its likely to cause you more problems if you don't get it right.

In any event, make good backups of the database and file system before you start poking around.
      Joe Craig DNN MVP Patapsco Research Group

Basic Member

Basic Member

I have seen this for a site without Portal Alias. After I added that, I was able to delete it.

Thanks! I tried adding the alias back but I still couldn't delete it and it's still not showing in manage > sites. Very odd. I think really messed something up trying to clean up the web.config. It's definitely there because I can see it's directory and it's showing in the sql console when I run SELECT * FROM portals;

Anyhow I think you're right Joe I will just ignore the database it and delete the directory after a backup

Basic Member

Basic Member

Posted By Agency3 on 12 Jul 2019 10:54 AM
            Thanks! I tried adding the alias back but I still couldn't delete it and it's still not showing in manage > sites. Very odd. I think really messed something up trying to clean up the web.config. It's definitely there because I can see it's directory and it's showing in the sql console when I run SELECT * FROM portals;

Anyhow I think you're right Joe I will just ignore the database it and delete the directory after a backup

If you can get to the Portal, try saving the portal settings and see if that helps.
            I'm sure there's something missing in the DB, which makes the SQL to get the portal fail.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
            Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. No Advertising. This includes promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            2. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            3. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            4. No Flaming or Trolling.
            5. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            6. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            7. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved