DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Making a Favicon that works for everything

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Is there a module or function I can use to make the Favicon that will work on every browser. The problem I am having, is I tried to use the Favicon setting in the site settings-upload favicon setting, but the problem is, I've found it not to work on everything. In particular, android phones with Google Chrome. However, on my Samsung S8, It does not work on Chrome, but I also have Firefox on it, and it worked perfectly. I'm talking about when you want to save the site to your homescreen on the phone. It just shows the first letter of the site name as the icon on the home screen. I tried downloading teh files from online but no luck.
    Any ideas?

Veteran Member

Hi Jeff,

Those are 2 different things. The favicon upload is to show in the browser. For your homescreen, you need the apple-touch-icon (works on android as well.

https://webdesign.tutsplu...con--webdesign-10067

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Jeff,

there are different files for browsers on mobile phones, eg. IPhones are searching for the following files:

apple-touch-icon-114x114-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-114x114.png
        apple-touch-icon-152x152-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-152x152.png
        apple-touch-icon-180x180-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-180x180.png
        apple-touch-icon-57x57-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-57x57.png
        apple-touch-icon-60x60.png
        apple-touch-icon-60x60precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-72x72-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-72x72.png
        apple-touch-icon-76x76-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon-76x76.png
        apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
        apple-touch-icon.png

I don't know of any possibility to do this "per portal", but if you only have one portal in your installation you could use these in the root folder of your installation.

For more information see here for example: https://stackoverflow.com...4294/mobile-favicons

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Growing Member

Thanks for that help so far. the weird thing is, I have 2 new sites that I used the process that Michael listed, and they both worked beautifully, but the site I am having a problem with is close to a year old and I had the Favicon set in the DNN site settings the whole time, but just discovered it is not working like I thought. Does this make sense at all?
          Thanks again.

Veteran Member

Jeff,

what version of DNN are you using with the site where it does not work?

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

Growing Member

It was 9.6, I just upgraded to 9.7
              Also, Here's an update (if I haven't already added this). It seems to be working on everything but Chrome on Andoid phones. I've got Firefox as well as Chrome on my Samsung S8, and the site worked perfectly on Firefox, for making the icon when saved to the home screen,  but will not work on Chorme. It only gives the little icon with the frst letter on the site name. I even got the idea that maybe the skin package or the 9.6 version was causing this, so I did the upgrade, and I also changed the skin package from the Bootster V2, to Polo and I also tried the EasyDDN skins, again, no luck. 
              Also, In my Firefox bookmarks, It shows the DNN logo rather than the favicon that I am trying to use. And it does the same on Google search results on my phone. 
               Hopefully, this may give you some idea of what I am getting.

Veteran Member

Jeff,

did you try to check the IIS logs? Normally you should get an HTTP 404 error when the browser requests the file... and this could lead you to the file name...

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

Growing Member

OK, I FINALLY got it to work. I had to go in and clear all cache, and any and all files that were related to the favicons, uploaded a fresh copy and it worked. So about the only thing I can figure is there was an issue with one or more of the favicon related files, or in the cache. Either way, it's fixed, so thank you very much! 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved