DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Cant login to admin after upgrade

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I've just upgraded from DNN 7.4.2 to DNN 8.0.4

I can no longer login to the admin area. I get this error:

Module Load Warning One or more of the modules on this page did not load. This may be temporary. Please refresh 

the page (click F5 in most browsers). If the problem persists, please let the Site Administrator know.

On the upgrade status report - everything was uploaded successfully. However underneath there was this error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This operation requires IIS integrated pipeline mode.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: This operation requires IIS integrated pipeline mode.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[PlatformNotSupportedException: This operation requires IIS integrated pipeline mode.]
       System.Web.HttpResponse.get_Headers() +11802575
       DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Membership.MembershipModule.OnPreSendRequestHeaders(Object sender, EventArgs e) +99
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnPreSendRequestHeaders() +211

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.8.4210.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have since changed the IIS setting to 'Integrated' from 'Classic' and recycled the Application Pool and restarted the website. But I still get the same error.

Do I need to rollback the installation and use 'Integrated' pipeline mode for the upgrade?

Also, all the Text/HTML modules are blank. Prior to the upgrade I installed CKEditor-Provider_2.1.20.0 - DNN7

Veteran Member

Yes, it probably would make sense to revert, switch IIS to integrated pipeline mode, test, and then try the upgrade again.

I don't recall any special considerations in going from 7.4.2 to 8.0.4. You may need to tweak skins and containers ...
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

just tried another upgrade from DNN 7.4.2 to DNN 8.0.4

I reverted the IIS application pool to integrated pipeline mode. I was feeling optimistic as there was no reference to the integrated pipeline mode error beneath the installation upgrade report. Eveything appeared to upgrade successfully. However, I still have the same problem and same error (shown below) and cannot login to the admin area. Could this be caused by a dodgy module? I wonder if it's possible to uninstall a few modules as a test - to narrow down the problem?

Module Load Warning One or more of the modules on this page did not load. This may be temporary. Please refresh 

the page (click F5 in most browsers). If the problem persists, please let the Site Administrator know.

Veteran Member

Yes, it could be a module.

It could also be a theme or a container, particularly if your theme/containers use SolPart menus and controls.

Take a look at /portals/_default/logs for the most recent log file and look there for errors See what they say.

You may also be able to login if you browse directly to yoursite.com/login.aspx.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

looking in my logs, i did find a reference to solpart...

Could not load type 'DotNetNuke.UI.WebControls.SolPartActions

I removed a few references to solpart...

<%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="ACTIONS" Src="~/Admin/Containers/SolPartActions.ascx" %>

from the web.config and a few more files and then i could login as an admin user, but couldn't opne admin page or host area.

I then removed all above lines from all other files (about 90 locations - find and replaces from the portals folder) and now the admin area crashes.

maybe it's best to push back the install again and use another skin for the admin? (i'm not entirely sure what solpart is?)

Veteran Member

Bingo!

I think you can simply removed all such references in the containers.

The skin itself is a bit more difficult.

But, that's pretty much your problem.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

sorted now.

just removed other references to DNNActions etc in the containers.

as shown here:

https://stackoverflow.com...trols-solpartactions

Veteran Member

I would also go back and remove any "Register" statements in the containers that refer to SolPart.

It's also a good idea, probably, to check your skin/theme files and verify that you are not using SolPart there either. But, because your theme seems to be working, you probably don't have a SolPart problem there. Still, I'd check.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

...just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water!

i thought it was sorted, but then next time i logged in, the problem reoccurred and i couldn't get back into the admin area despite deleting all references to the solpart actions.

I've rolled back my database again to 7.4.2 and going to try again.

i was wondering if there is anything else i can do in version 7 prior to the upgrade? - should i remove the solpart menu first? and install another alternative menu system? (telerik / DDR menu)?

Growing Member

update...

working again!

found a better post from DNNGo - https://www.dnnsoftware.c...d/526660/scope/posts

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved