DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

How do I edit the content in a layout?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I'm trying to edit the content in the top navigation menu and the footer of my 4 layouts. I assume each theme has a set of files that I can download to change the content or the css of my layouts. I can't find these files anywhere. Not sure what I'm missing.

Veteran Member

All of the files in a theme should be in /portals/_default/skins/.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

In the root of your skin there are ascx files that are pretty much HTML files. So, you can edit content there. Either content or grid like columns. In the default.ascx you might find that other files are included, so you might need to change something like a header.ascx if that is in a seperate file.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
        Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
        We just love DNN
        https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Hi Joe,

Thats where I was thinking they should be. The site I'm working on uses the Digital Assets Management extension. When I look under Global Assets root/Skins all I see are the _default, DarkKnightMobile, Facebook, and Gravity theme folders. There are probably 20 other custom themes used throughout the site and I have no idea where the files are to edit any of them.

I'm relatively new to using DNN so I wouldn't be suprised if I'm just missing something or I don't have access to where the files are.

Do you have any ideas about where the files could be?

Thanks

Veteran Member

I'd guess that the other themes are in a similar folder in Site Assets, rather the Global assets.

That /portals/yourportal/Skins rather than /portals/_default/Skins.
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Which version of DNN are you using?
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I'm using v. 09.01.01 (129).

There also is not any folder in the Site Assets about skins, themes, containers, or layouts.

Thanks

Veteran Member

If you have access to the file system, you should be able to locate those custom skins.

Using browser developer tools, you should also be able to locate assets, such as skin.css files, and see from where they are loading.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Kyler Thompson on 05 Nov 2020 05:35 PM

I'm using v. 09.01.01 (129).

There also is not any folder in the Site Assets about skins, themes, containers, or layouts.

Thanks

FYI, you should upgrade to preferable 9.8.0 when it's released ASAP (for security).

New Around Here

Check under Manage > Themes to see the active theme.
                      Erwin
                      awesome dnn
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved