DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

How to include the aspx web page when developing new module?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Dear Dnn Guru

We know when we creat a page in DNN, it is a TabId-Based URL and worked as a ascx in default.aspx when load module in this created page. But sometimes we need some aspx pages accompanied with the developped module. That means this builded module consists with not only Edit, Setting, View ascxes, but also with some aspxes. These aspx pages should be called by internal and external of the DNN system. I tried to simply put an aspx page into a fold within DNN web plateform, but not successful. So I hope to get general knoledge for help from you guys, DNN guru.

Best Regards

Jimmy

Veteran Member

Jimmy,

You first need to understand that DNN modules do not implement complete HTML pages. Inside, View, Settings, etc. produce chunks of HTML that are injected into the DNN page.

You can create other views within a DNN module. Since you mentioned an Edit view, I'm guessing that you are using a module template that implements an Edit.ascx view. So, if you need other pieces, you could use that as a model.

You might want to take a look at the Blog module that is supported by the DNN community. That module comes with multiple appearances and functionalities that are configured with module settings.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Normally a DNN module cannot be an aspx.
        You could place the module on a page with a special theme layout / skin and solve your issue that way (as the Theme is just a page layout, you can create a virtual page in a way)

When you want to allow external access to you data and you want to be more future proof it's better to use a web service or something alike.

New Around Here

Dear Joe Craig

Thank you very much for your answer. I don't want the aspx page to be injected into DNN page. I hope the aspx page can be worked as a normal page like in common asp.net web site. When I develop a module by using module termplate, I hope this aspx page is a member in this module. For example, the PayPalIPN.aspx is in store module and working well. But I don't know how it is put into module and can be working well, I don't know the mechanism. This is just what I want to know. I also need to process some return/notify information come from external website. I know I can develop another module to receive the return information as long as I told the external website where the return information should go, but this will do too much job, not like an aspx page easy.

Best Regards

Jimmy

Growing Member

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here.

You have a .aspx file in your module folder and it works. (As it should, it's not recommended, but I also have several projects where I do this).

The mechanism is quite simple: if you have a url to an aspx, the page just gets executed.

So, what is it that does not work?

Greetz,
            Stefan Kamphuis

Veteran Member

As Stefan mentions, this can be quite simple.  You just include it where you want it, then navigate to it directly. 

There are numerous reasons I can think of why I'd suggest against doing this, but there are certainly use cases where this may be necessary.  Just know, that when you do include and use ASPX pages, you're basically circumventing all of the benefits of using DNN in the first place, including security, role assignment, visibility, dynamic navigation, and more.  In some cases where we've had to resolve hacked DNN websites, this was found to be the cause.  :(

If possible, I'd love to hear more about what you're actually trying to accomplish.  We may be able to suggest a more future-proof and secure way to accomplish your goals.  In fact, there could even be an easy and built-in way to do it that you may not be aware of.  DNN has so many features that even those of us who've been using it since the beginning are still learning about them to this day.  :) 

New Around Here

Dear Will Strohl

Many Thankls for your advices. My website need to communicate with other website's APIs. Every API will notify my website with some information. Basically I develop one module with functions vs one API. I can develop another module for receiving notification from the API and display on ascxes. That means I need to develop two modules vs one API. If many APIs need to develop modules to satisfied, this will double my jobs. So I think if I can develop one module with a specific aspx page for receiving return information and popup to display. This will decrease the develop works. These were what I hope to accomplish.

I totally agree with your opinion that aspx page may resuli in some unsecured factors. So I hope I can learn from you if you have some about the easy and built-in way to achieve the goals. Thanks again!

Best Regards

Jimmy

Veteran Member

I'm assuming that you have built a DNN module that does what you want.

If so, create a page and drop the module there. What else do you need?
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Dear Joe Craig

Thank you very much! I did created a page and drop it to the module fold. The page can be display, but the url was clearly displayed on the adreess box if navigate to this page by normal navigation. I agree with Will Strohl's opinion that this way is not safe. I hope if we can display this page by using DNN url rewrite function.

Best Regards

Jimmy

Veteran Member

I'm not understanding.

You created a normal DNN page, added your module to it, and then you can navigate to the page? If that is correct, I'm not sure what the problem is.

You can control access to the page, and who can navigate to it using DNN's page permissions and the ability to hide a page from the normal navigation. This is the sort of security that Will meant. It is lacking if you simply drop a .aspx file into your site.

More details would, at least for me, help.
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved