DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Error - DNN 9.2.2 - Cannot Enter Edit Mode

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I had this  problem come up in an Evoq DNN 9.2.2 instance and found the same symptoms of issues previously reported by others:
    - clicking on the edit mode button would not enter edit mode
    - JS Console displayed error message of 
    /API/internalservices/controlBar/ToggleUserMode 500 (Internal Server Error)
    - Logs showed 
    "The type initializer for 'DotNetNuke.ExtensionPoints.ExtensionPointManager' threw an exception.The type initializer for 'DotNetNuke.ExtensionPoints.ExtensionPointManager' threw an exception." "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'nunit.framework, Version=2.6.2.12296"

this was after installing and then uninstalling a 3rd party module. My thought is that the third party module, on uninstall either didn't remove a reference from the web.config, or it removed the nunit though another module needed it... still working through the details.

as a temporary work around, entering edit mode from the Page Admin persona bar screen allowed us to enter edit mode.

I'm also tying together issues here from the old forum
    https://www.dnnsoftware.c...e/posts/threadpage/2

This also cooincided with errors seen adding a new module to a page when in edit mode. On screen a friendly looking popup (not .net error or js/console error) displayed the error message "Error occurred when request service 'GetPortalDesktopModules'."
    and the console along with that is
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)
    /API/internalservices/controlbar/GetPortalDesktopModules?category=All&loadingStartIndex=0&loadingPageSize=10&searchTerm=&excludeCategories=&sortBookmarks=true&topModule=HTML%20Pro

anyone run into this and have an explination? Meanwhile, I'm looking for nunit to put to the bin...

Growing Member

In this case, once I placed the nunit dll into the bin (https://launchpad.net/nunitv2/trunk/2.6.2) then the issue went away and the DNN instance behaved properly going in/out of edit mode. The errors stopped showing in the log files.

THOUGH, that said, I looked at a backup of the module before the 3rd party module was installed, and there was no nunit dll in the site's bin folder. After the uninstall, there also was not one. However, after the uninstall, this error was present.

Veteran Member

is this specific to Evoq and DNN 9.2.x?
        Please be aware that PersonaBar has been rewritten for DNN Platform 9.3.x.

Veteran Member

Posted By Moore Creative on 28 Jul 2019 02:54 PM
          In this case, once I placed the nunit dll into the bin (https://launchpad.net/nunitv2/trunk/2.6.2) then the issue went away and the DNN instance behaved properly going in/out of edit mode. The errors stopped showing in the log files.

THOUGH, that said, I looked at a backup of the module before the 3rd party module was installed, and there was no nunit dll in the site's bin folder. After the uninstall, there also was not one. However, after the uninstall, this error was present.

I run into a very similar issue with EntityFramework on some websites - and they don't even have any extensions using it.  So weird.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved