DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrade path 7.2.3 to 9.2.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I have 2 sites that need to upgrade from 7.2.3 to 9.2.2.  Is there a suggested upgrade path, or can I go straight to 9.2.2?

Veteran Member

First, make sure you have a good backup.

Second, make sure you known that in going to 9.2.0 and above requires that many third party modules have to be upgraded as many deprecated APIs were removed at this point, and several important libraries were upgraded. Read the release notes for 9.2.0 (and there were several blog posts, too),

I have upgraded several sites. Some have worked flawlessly, and some haven't.

If you are brave, go straight to 9.3.2. If it doesn't work, restore and go step by step.

If you have to go step by step, I'd recommend upgrading to the last . (8.0.4?). Then 9.0.1 and onward to 9.3.2. That should work.

Make backups at each stage if you're a nervous nelly like me. Test and upgrade modules at every stage.

And, should you encounter errors, ask for help!
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe for the help!

New Around Here

New to DNN... is there any help on how the upgrade needs to be done?

Thanks

Veteran Member

Absolutely!

https://www.dnnsoftware.c...upgrading-dotnetnuke
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmVPRQZ6J4
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNmVPRQZ6J4

The most important bit of advice has to do with backups. Before starting, make a good backup of your site. You need to backup the database and the file directory. Together they constitute a complete installation.

If possible, do the upgrade on a copy of your productions site. Then, when the upgraded site is working, you can back it up and move that backup to the production site as the upgrade.

There is a module, Evotiva DNN Backup and Restore that can simplify the process.

Practice all of this before touching your production site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Personally, this is the most consistent upgrade path that I've found to work from that version.

• Upgrade DNN from 7.3.2 to 7.4.2
              • Upgrade DNN from 7.4.2 to 8.0.4
              • Disable DNN Corp's customer participation program setting
              • Potentially upgrade third-party extensions
              • Upgrade DNN from 8.0.4 to 9.1.1
              • Install security patches (there are two)
              • Potentially upgrade third-party extensions
              • Update any custom extensions to be compatible with DNN 9.2+
              • Upgrade DNN from 9.1.1 to 9.2.2
              • Upgrade DNN from 9.2.2 to 9.3.2 (latest release at the time this was written)

Veteran Member

Will, is there really a need to install the security patches? The issues should be fixed in the subsequent Upgrades.

New Around Here

Thanks for the detailed upgrade map, Will.  I'm seaching around to find the upgrade packages (starting with 7.4.2), and seem to be hitting a roadblock at Codeplex.  Are these older releases still available somewhere to download?

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Member

New Around Here

I have successfully upgraded a copy of my test site to 7.4.2, and then to 8.04. When I upgraded to 9.1.1, however, I have run into a problem. Parts of the persona bar do not work. I can hover over the DNN logo and get version info, or the "manage" section and that works. Nothing happens when I hover over the "content" or "settings" icons. I'm not seeing any clues in the developer console. I thought this might be related to my skin (Chronos), but I have the most recent version, and it is supposed to support DNN 9.
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved