DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Not able to update the module with DNN 9.6.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I have a site running on DNN 9.6.2 and here when I am trying to update the already installed module by following the below steps, its completing the installation without any errors, but not installing the latest updates to the module. I am trying to update my Custom Skins module here, its not working for any of the modules (i.e.,javascript libraries)

Steps Followed:

1. I have added the .zip file which is having updated content to "path_to_my_site \Install\Skin" folder location.

2. Then I have executed below URL to run the resource installation: (I had already added the install.aspx, DotNetNuke.install.config.resources and DotNetNuke.install.config files in Install folder as the DNN latest version does nt provide these files by itself.)

URL_of_my_site/Install/Install.aspx?mode=installresources

3. The above command does not give any error and gives message of Installation Complete, BUT after that when I checked, the latest files were not present there.

This is breaking the deployment to this site. Can anyone please guide me what to do here to solve this issue?

New Around Here

Hi Maya,

If it is just a skin or theme package you are updating, you can overwrite the files in the directory of the skin (usually /Portals/_default/Skins/ or /Portals//Skins/. As long as there are no DLLs included in the theme .zip file, just unzip in the correct directory and your new JS assets will be available.

Otherwise, you can also install the package as a regular extension by clicking on Admin > Extensions > Install new extension, followed by uploading it as you would any other module or library.

Hope this helps.
      Paras Daryanani

Celestify

Celestify - we build digital ecosystems.

New Around Here

No, this happens for everything, modules as well. I am running TeamCity deployment where it is deploying new modules/libraries/skin .zip by itself to the site.

I dont want to update it manually by installing extension. 

Any idea of the root cause and solution?

Veteran Member

When you say "no errors" have you also checked the log4net logs? The are in /portals/_default/logs.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Yes Joe,

I have checked in the logs and it doesnt have any errors in it. Just information logs as below:

2020-12-07 11:33:01,080 [ICPL12967][Thread:6][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Created. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin\test_00.00.02_Install.zip
            2020-12-07 11:33:01,087 [ICPL12967][Thread:28][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Changed. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin\test_00.00.02_Install.zip
            2020-12-07 11:33:01,092 [ICPL12967][Thread:28][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Changed. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin\test_00.00.02_Install.zip
            2020-12-07 11:33:01,133 [ICPL12967][Thread:29][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Changed. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin
            2020-12-07 11:33:06,464 [ICPL12967][Thread:6][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Deleted. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin\test_00.00.02_Install.zip
            2020-12-07 11:33:07,466 [ICPL12967][Thread:29][INFO] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeShutdownOverload - Watcher Activity: Changed. Path: C:\trustme\Install\Skin

Thats why I am suspecting that something is stopping this installation file to get installed. BUT WHAT?? :(

If anyone can guide me through the solution/rootcause, it would be great. Thanks.

Veteran Member

Posted By Maya Trivedi on 03 Dec 2020 08:09 AM

I have a site running on DNN 9.6.2 and here when I am trying to update the already installed module by following the below steps, its completing the installation without any errors, but not installing the latest updates to the module. I am trying to update my Custom Skins module here, its not working for any of the modules (i.e.,javascript libraries)

Steps Followed:

1. I have added the .zip file which is having updated content to "path_to_my_site \Install\Skin" folder location.

2. Then I have executed below URL to run the resource installation: (I had already added the install.aspx, DotNetNuke.install.config.resources and DotNetNuke.install.config files in Install folder as the DNN latest version does nt provide these files by itself.)

URL_of_my_site/Install/Install.aspx?mode=installresources

3. The above command does not give any error and gives message of Installation Complete, BUT after that when I checked, the latest files were not present there.

This is breaking the deployment to this site. Can anyone please guide me what to do here to solve this issue?

Did you try using another extension , preferable one that comes with DNN?
              I'm not sure if this is still supported TBH.

You should not forget that DNN removes these install files after installation for a reason.
              Namely security, it's a potential access point for hackers.
              So if you do this, make sure you remove the files from the install folder when you are "done".

Veteran Member

Maya,

I always only added the installation ZIP files in the folder /install/module, /install/skin etc., (after unzipping the DNN Upgrade package over the installation) and run URL_of_my_site/Install/Install.aspx?mode=upgrade. This always did the trick.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks Michael,

BUT this is not working for me. After keeping .zip file to "install/skin" folder, I tried executing "URL_of_my_site/Install/Install.aspx?mode=upgrade" in browser BUT nothing is happening for me. The .zip also stays as it is only.

Is it working for you in DNN 9.6.2? If so then any pre-requisite which I need to follow?

Veteran Member

Again: did you try another package, to make sure it's not an issue of your packaging in DNN 9.6.2?

New Around Here

Yes Timo,

I have tried for Javascript Libraries and even for Modules as well. Same result I am getting. Nothing is being installed and .zip gets removed. And no errors are getting logged in logs as well.  Just the information which I have already shared in my above comments.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved