DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Setup existing DNN site

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I got DNN cms from a company and i want to setup on my local. I have opened it in visual studio and run with IIS Express. I am getting this error.

http://localhost:8186/Ins...l/InstallWizard.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found.

Can anybody help me?

Growing Member

Are you install a new version of DNN downloaded from its GitHub repo or an existing install given to you? What version of DNN? Make sure the .NET framework version set for the app pool is correct for the version you are trying to run.

Veteran Member

You need to explain more as to what "I got DNN cms from a company" means. What did you actually receive. Is it a copy of an existing installation? Or something else? Details, please.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Yes, He sent me copy of existing DNN website(Source code). I created website in IIS and run it. After I run it, I am getting Install/InstallWizard.aspx is missing.

IN other words, I received exisitng DNN website code, How i can run it ?

New Around Here

No, I got existing DNN website source code. I want to set it up on my local and run it. I tried it on IIS and make it website but not working. Emply page is showing only.

When i run it directly in VS2019, It saying Install/InstallWizard.aspx is missing. Yes there is no InstallWizard.aspx file inside install folder as well.

How to run existing DNN website?

Veteran Member

It would help if you could describe what you are trying to do.

If your friend sent you a copy of an existing DNN installation, did you also get a copy of a database? You will need that to run a copy of the DNN installation and any websites that it contains. If that's the case, you did not get the source code.

If you want to create a clean installation of DNN, you need to download a copy of the "Install Package" from https://github.com/dnnsof...n.Platform/releases. DNN 9.8.0 is the latest release.

Besides IIS, you will also need SQL Server. If you go to dnndocs.com you can check out the prerequisites for a DNN installation.

Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi,

I received source code, I am attaching its structure images. I received database, but the tables are empty.  i want to run existing DNN website, not a new one.

https://ibb.co/vLSPgdZ

https://ibb.co/470zjps

Veteran Member

OK.

It looks like the zips file is the web directory for a web site. I'm assuming that there are more folders and some files.

If you have an empty database, then you don't have the entire website. You should ask for another copy. The fact that running the site tries to do an install indicates that DNN recognizes that its database is missing.

Note, you do not (should not!) try running with Visual Studio.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

One more suggestion is that you download a copy of the DNN 9.8.0 Install package and install it. Then use that to get to know DNN and perhaps that will help you with the main task.

But ... you need a copy of the database. That's where all or most of the website data is stored.
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

HI Thank you for your reply.

Yes there are 6 folders in main folder and one folder has all DNN folders/files. Attached is full picture. https://ibb.co/K0mR8S7

If I do not get database, what are all available options i can make it run? What if i use database of an existing new installed dnn?

Also why it always looking for install/installWizard.aspx file? 

Do i really need to reinstall or i should keep as it is?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved