DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

PostGre Database is not being accessed from sql pad

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have added connection string to connect PostGre SQL Database it is working in module but not able to connect in SQL Pad (DNN Query)

Following is the connection string which i have used to connect Post Gre SQL:-

Please let me know if any correction required and do needful

Veteran Member

I'm not sure what you mean by SQL Pad.

If you are referring the the SQL Console (Host/SQL in earlier versions of DNN), I don't think that is set up to use an external database.

There may be other modules that can, including the DNN Reports module, https://github.com/DNNCommunity/DNN.Reports
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Please note: these forums are about DNN Platform software only, this is not a general forum about Microsoft SQL Server or other SQL products.

Veteran Member

I think that "SQL Pad" is the SQL Console extension in the Persona Bar.

I haven't recently tried to use any non-SQL Server databases in the console. In theory, they should work though, if the connection string and underlying data access components are installed. For example, if you have a custom extension successfully displaying data from your PostGre database, then the SQL Console should work as well.

Veteran Member

I am pretty sure that PersonaBar > Settings > SQL does not Support SQL dialects for other databases, even if you are using proper database Driver and Connection string - the built in Syntax checker is specific for SQL Server AFAIK.

New Around Here

Yes, I meant, the Host -> SQL page from where you can run the queries. 

When I add a connection string in web.config, I do find it in the dropdown box to select. that works well with exernal databased too, as long as the external database id MS SQL, but if the external database is non-MS-SQL then it does not work. My guess is that it does not recognise the provider attribute of connection string and uses sqlclient only.

If I use the same external database via code (that is create a connection object manually) then it works.

I think this may be considered as a bug, and shall be taken care in next version

Veteran Member

DNN is using internally .Net methods, which are MS SQL specific, i.e. the only simple fix would be checking the connection string to contain a supported provider.

New Around Here

We are providing the provider name in the connection string, have a var the SQL console overrides that and uses only the SQL client
                  You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved