DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Mobile redirects fail from domain.com to www.domain.com

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

when i navigate to mydomain.com on my phone browser, or use a 3d party speed test, i land on the iis home page. when i do the same on my windows browser - eg edge - i end up on www.mydomain.com as desired.

in dnn site settings, i have created an alias for mydomain.com and set site alias mapping mode to redirect.
    on my server, i created a url rewrite rule (using url rewrite module 2.1) to map non www urls to www.mydomain.com - at least i think that i have. yet mobile devices do not redirect.

does anyone have any recommendations on getting mobile url requests to go to www.mydomain.com?

ps - i have an ssl certificate for www.mydomain.com. not sure if that complicates matters.

pps - upon further testing, i have found that page speed tests - eg google's - goes to my iis home page for both desktop and mobile emulation. and i have reproduced the problem by using a different browser and clearing cache.

Growing Member

Can you post the XML of the redirect rule from the web.config that is in place for the non-www to www?

Growing Member

this code snippet is from the app.config for dnn - added by the url rewrite module.

hmmmm - not sure how to add xml excerpts. looks like it is disallowed

Growing Member

i don't know how to show xml. thanks any way

Growing Member

i figured out the problem. i needed to add 2 more bindings to my iis website. i added one for port 80 and one for 443 and left the host blank. i had thought that i could not do that because my certificate is for www.mydomain.com. not sure if i still need the rewrite/redirect - so will experiment, but at least the page speed test is getting to the right place.

one issue is that my browser url is showing www.mydomain.com/default.aspx whereas before it showed just www.mydomain.com. is there a way to get rid of the default.aspx or change it to www.mydomain.com/home?

Growing Member

and i resolved my final issue concerning url display by clearing cache. this lesson has turned out to be valuable and hard earned. many of the frustrations i encountered were due to caching problems. so i now keep a dedicated browsers whose main purpose is be called upon to have its cache completely deleted for testing. i usually like to keep history etc, but i have no love for the guinea pig browser.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved