DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Run away disk space on a DNN VM?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Hi

We have an experimental VM server running DNN 9x.   

Every time we resize the server hard disk larger, it is almost immediately consumed by 'something'.

The result is the DNN portal hangs constantly.

Have checked the logging and error reporting etc. All turned off.

Anyone come across this before?

thanks

Ken

Veteran Member

Can you see what files get larger? Also could this be the database?

Growing Member

I'd check the size of the database and confirm you use the Simple recovery model for backups or you verify you truncate the logs frequently.

Then look at the folder \web\Portals\_default\logs and check if there's any substantially big files in there.

And also use a utility that can tell you where the space is being used. A very simple one can be found her http://steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Vicenç Masanas
        Disgrafic ITec SL Banyoles - Spain

Veteran Member

You definitely need to investigate this to determine the root cause.  As mentioned earlier, this is most commonly the result of your log files getting loaded with errors/messages.  That's not normal though.  It's usually the cause of a poorly implemented or built extension or hacking attempts.  

Whenever I need to investigate file system growth issues, I use WinDirStat, it's free.  :)  

Growing Member

thanks for the comments, all is helpful. In the end I abandoned trying to restart the DNN instance, nothing worked and every additional volume space on the VM was absorbed. So never found out why, but run away logs seem to feel right and the VM set up seemed to have a different folder structure. So who knows.

The next step was to move to Azure, and having never completed a DNN install before in my life (see this community for previous requests), it just happened as it should. I admit to being impressed.   If anyone knows about email sever connect I have another query open - ever the optimist!

thanks all

Growing Member

Postscript:

the problem was an extension that carried on producing backups every minute even when the portal was damaged. 

Very simple.

Veteran Member

Posted By KenT on 23 Aug 2019 09:20 AM

Postscript:

the problem was an extension that carried on producing backups every minute even when the portal was damaged. 

Very simple.

Thanks for following up with the solution.  How did you manage to find the culprit this time?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved