DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrade from 9.3.2 to 9.6.1 issue

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

New Around Here

Yes, we do have custom modules. What should we be looking in them to identify the issue?

New Around Here

Yes Joe, we do have custom modules. What should we be looking in the same to find the issue?

Also, how does one know if the modules are 9.8.0 compliant?

Veteran Member

Be sure to read all of the release notes for the versions after 9.3.2.

Also, are your custom modules compiled, or do you have code that is compiled as the modules are loaded? Certainly if you are installing compiled modules, you will have dealt with compilation issues prior to loading to DNN.

The threads I mentioned earlier deal with some of these issues.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Dear Joe,

We do have some modules that are precompiled and do get compiled when the modules are loaded. Will the problem be liking with one of these modules? 

Veteran Member

Rajesh,
            noone can tell you without having a look at your modules.
            You should test by installing and using your custom modules on a new installed instance of the same DNN version. If they run without issues, there might be other 3rd party extensions (modules, skins, providers) with problems

New Around Here

Dear Sebastian,

By the same installed version are you refering to the version before upgrade or the version being upgraded to?

Veteran Member

@rajesh,
                I am talking about the version, you are upgrading to. Thus you may test, whether your modules work properly with the new version. If this works as well with all 3rd party modules, you are using on your site, they should work as well with the upgraded DNN instance.

New Around Here

Hi...

Tried upgrading again from 9.3.2 to 9.6.1 following all the steps suggested. However, i am facing a very peculiar issue.

After the upgrade, the site works. On restarting IIS, I get the DNN error.

Now, I go and remove one dll randomly from the Bin folder and restart IIS. The site comes up properly. Now, again when I restart IIS, I get the DNN error.

Now, I go and put back the removed dll into the bin folder and restart IIS. The site again comes up properly. Now, when I do an IIS reset again, I get the DNN error.

So, in nutshell, whenever a dll in the bin folder is disturbed and the site started, it works (i.e. when DNN must be rebuilding the cache owing to change in bin folder). Once it is working and an IIS reset is done, it gives the DNN error. So, it appears that after IIS Reset it is a must for the Bin folder to be rebuilt for site to work!! 

Am not able to figure out why this is happening. Please guide.

Veteran Member

You need to find and fix the root issue. All of your tinkering is to no avail until you address that.

All that removing or adding a file to the bin folder is to force a recompile. And, I think that this was discussed quite early in the thread.

Take a look in the portals/_default/logs directory and look at the log files. Something may show up there that helps you.

Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Dear Joe,

If I knew the root issue I would not be tinkering. Because I am not able to figure out the issue we are going deeper.

Also, I have shared the log file text a number of times in my earlier post. So, not sure what you are referring to by stating that this is covered in an earlier thread.

My question is that when IIresets and the Bin folder is compiled if it works then does it not mean that all modules, Skins etc are in place. If they were not, the site should have not come up. But on restarting the instance (when bin is not recompiled) the DNN error comes. Has this been faced by anyone earlier. Is it pointing to Modules or some other issue?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved