• Login
  • Register

DNN Forums

A community discussion page. We're starting from scratch, so...let's get the party started!

Suspicious files linked to DNN installation?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Sort:

Hi guys, I have just been on to my web hosting provider to tell them that I think my hosting space is compromised.

They tell me that a file I found on the root of my hosting space adpps.asp is actually a 'control file' that helps with DNN installations. The code in the file is asp code, and contains the following string:

I've never heard of a .asp file being used in the DNN architecture, do you think this is as I told them a suspicious file, or is this actually used in the DNN framework?

DNN does not use classic ASP pages at all. However, it's possible that your hosting company has added this ASP file for their own management and automation purposes. That said, even if was put in place "legitimately", it doesn't appear to be implemented in a secure manner.

If they're saying that it came with DNN, then they are mistaken. If they've added it, I'd request that they allow you to remove it and/or find a new hosting provider.
      DNN partner specializing in custom, enterprise DNN development https://engagesoftware.com/showcase

Brian, I think you're right about finding another provider. I dug a bit deeper and found that I could access other customers' information on the SQL server. Hmmm.

Thank you for a quick and comprehensive response - DNN people make a great community!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. No Advertising. This includes promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        2. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        3. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        4. No Flaming or Trolling.
        5. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        6. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        7. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved