DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Portal Wide Font-Family

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have searched high and low for an answer to what may be an inane question but PLEASE can someone advise me on how to change the Theme Font Family for an entire Portal (or even the entire Theme)?

eg: font-family: Helvetica

And the entire Portal uses that Font... Can it? Is it as simple as change it in ONE place and done?

Veteran Member

The short answer is that this is going to depend on the theme and how it is put together.

For the entire theme, you'll need to find where the default font is defined, and change it there. That's assuming that the default them is defined in the theme, and not in DNN's default.css file.

For that, your theme could unload the default.css file and optionally load something else in its place. 40Fingers Style Helper Skin Object (https://www.40fingers.net...cts/DNN-Stylehelper) can help with that.

Presumably you can also figure out how to load a custom css file based on the portal name or something. I think that you can do that with the Style Helper and pass in a css file name based on the portal name or URL.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you for your reply - I am using (as an example...) the Xcillio2.0 Theme so I assume I will have to just go through all the files in the Theme and look for the Font-Family occurrences? It claims to have several Font Options so where can I add an entry to use one of the fonts?  Is there a quick way to make a Visual Studio Project from that Theme and then look for all the occurrences? I am fairly new at this type of development so I guess I am just looking for a kick-start.. Obviously the Font-Family is one of the issues as I am also looking to change Color and other trivial settings.

Veteran Member

Sounds like you are at the very start, so let's get you going :-)

The look & feel is defined in a theme. The themes are located in /Portals/_default/Skins so your Xcillion resides on /Portals/_default/Skins/Xcillion

How a page is built is defined in the ascx file. So, this is where you find rows, columns and classes. See home.ascx for example.
          In the root of the Xcillion folder you find the skin.css. Now, this is where all styling resides. On line 34 you'll see that p (paragraph) is defined as 14 px. If you change that to 18px, the font will be bigger. So, changing the color of a heading can be done in this file as well. And you also see that the current font is open sans.

Changing the font is also in the same file on line 246 where you see how the font is included from Google web fonts. Changing the font means changing at least 2 pieces:
          1. including from Google webfonts
          2. defining the part (like H1 or H2) that you wish to have a different font.
          Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thank Tycho... I needed a quick-start and it looks like you have supplied that... I will copy the Xcillion Theme to a Different Folder and rename it and make the changes you suggest...

New Around Here

I did have a look and it looks like you are talking about Xcillion whilst I am talking about Xcillio2.0 and the files you mention have nothing in them... From what I can find on the web it appears Xcillio2.0 has a few Fonts and Colours that can be changed easily... Now THAT is what I am trying to ascertain... Where to change these parameters "easily"?

Veteran Member

the 2.0 version is on Bootstrap4 which needs the SASS to be minified. To keep things simple: the fastest way (not the way for long term maintenance of code) is to use the portal.css.
                If you expand the persona bar (Settings - custom css) you can use that UI to add your own css.

Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                We just love DNN

Veteran Member

Posted By FailSafe Systems on 30 Mar 2021 06:19 AM
                  I did have a look and it looks like you are talking about Xcillion whilst I am talking about Xcillio2.0 and the files you mention have nothing in them... From what I can find on the web it appears Xcillio2.0 has a few Fonts and Colours that can be changed easily... Now THAT is what I am trying to ascertain... Where to change these parameters "easily"?

Xcillion 2 came with a style switcher I think.
                  I think that's this one: https://github.com/dnncon.../DnnC.DnnThemeEditor
                  If that does not work try contacting dnnconsulting

Veteran Member

@Timo, Good catch! I didn't know this.
                    But yes on https://github.com/dnncon...ThemeEditor/releases you find a release that also mentions Xcillion 2.0
                    But 2 years ago so, not sure if it is up to date.
                    Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
                    We just love DNN
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved