DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Server Error in '/' Application of main site

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have a site hosted with WinHost - I created the main site, created a portal site (multi language).

The main site shows the error below, entering the url for the portal works fine - can see the full site, login etc.  Any pointers as to how I might reset things?  I added multi-lingual support for the portal site and added translations and these work OK, I may have changed a setting inadvertantly on the main site to cause this, I cannot be sure (and cannot remember what I did) - that may be completely unrelated... I can sign in as host on the portal site but don't have access to any system wide settings, only the portal.  I'm happy to flatten the original and start again if needed, but do wish to keep the portal site. Thanks. 

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       DotNetNuke.HttpModules.OutputCaching.OutputCacheModule.OnResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e) +514
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +144
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +50
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +73

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.8.4330.0

New Around Here

UPDATE: I have looked at the various Portal* tables and there was no row in PortalAlias, I have added this row. Data in the other Portal* tables looks OK including PortalSettings. Still have the same error. Any suggestions as to where else to look?

Veteran Member

A few more details would help.

Which DNN Version?

You say "entering the url for the portal works fine - can see the full site, login etc." What then causes the error to happen?
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I have the same issue when I attempt to run a DNN 9.10.2 site on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box which works perfectly fine on Windows Server 2019. I am thinking this is something wherein 2008 R2 is missing something that later Windows versions have. I copied a perfectly functional site from a 2019 server box to 2008 R2 box and the error surfaces when accessing the site for the first time.

I have also enabled <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" /> and turned off custom errors <customErrors mode="Off" /> ... this is one of the only search results for outputcaching.outputcachemodule.onresolverequestcache fyi.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved