DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Skin Change / Site Redesign

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Hi!

After more than a decade I want to update our web site's skin or theme as it is called now.

What's the best way to do it?

Usually I take a backup of our live site for example on Friday and then make all changes on my local dev system. When I am done I make a backup and restore it on the live site. Of course this can only be done if nothing important changed on the live system over the weekend, like invoiced orders.

Another way I used before, to update modules for example is to use a backup locally and write some step-by-step instructions that I, once everything works fine, peform on the live system.

Now with the skin update, I am sure that I cannot do it over the weekend. It will take a longer period of time.

Is it best to use the export/import functionality? I have never used that feature except recently to import some templates that came with the new themes. Is this a good way to prepare the site on my dev system and then just import all the pages (presentation layer) without missing any data (data layer)? Because my backup method usually back's up and restores both presentation and data.

I wouldn't mind if it could be done on the live site temporary in some new folder like www.ourdomain.com/new but I guess if using that URL I will later have to update it in a lot of places when it should become www.ourdomain.com again and maybe I'll miss some of them.

Or is there some other way?

Andy

Veteran Member

Andy,

when I am doing upgrades, I do them in my testing environment (backup after every successful step), and add all the extension upgrades necessary in the upgrade package. I write down all the steps necessary, then start all over again and when the upgrade works fine, I apply it to the production environment. See here for more information about the upgrade process, esp. the step to take the site offline.

Happy DNNing!

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

I wouldn't use the export/import feature, there are a number of caveats, that might not result in a complete transfer.
        If you concentrate on skin and container and are able to make sure, all your modifications (especially CSS and JS) are stored in CSS files located in the skin (and the container) folder, you should be able to transfer the design from your local dev to production by just copying both folders. Now you would just need to apply the design to your site - If panned properly, this should be possible during a short maintenance period. You should prepare properly and write down all steps you need to apply the theme via admin UI or by using SQL (settings named DefaultPortalSkin, DefaultAdminSkin, DefaultPortalContainer and DefaultAdminContainer in portalsettings, skinsrc as well as columns containerSrc in tables tabs, tabmodules).

Growing Member

Thank you Michael and Sebastian.

I have the server virtualized on my desktop and like to make snapshots after each step so I can easily roll back if something goes wrong, or move back to the initial state to test my step-by-step instructions before rolling them out.

Unfortunately the changes are not just the layout. A lot of the content will change and the new theme has different panes and such. We also move from a design that shows multiple pages connected with "Next" and "Previous" buttons to a single page layouts where users will have to scroll a lot. Thanks to Facebook, Twitter and co they are used to that and love it.

The new theme uses bootstrap and there a lot of nice things included like FAQs, carousels, tabs and so on and we want to make use of those.

I could try to port it as good as possible, only switching the theme for each page and adjust for the panes. The site will look bad during that period. Then I could work on the live site to make it look good again and use the included theme features, which may take multiple days.

I just thought there maybe some way to prevent this transition period and directly move from old to new.

Edit: So, even if I make the changes on an identical copy of the productive site, both with the same modules and themes installed, I will get into some problems with Export/Import?

Veteran Member

I don't see a chance to avoid the redesign period.
            1. clone the site,
            2. prevent changes on the old one
            3. update the clone until it is ready for a relaunch
            4. move over changes from old site to new site, that happened although 2.
            5. replace old site by new one

Growing Member

Thank you Sebastian. Then I will do the re-design offline on my PC and when I'm done merge the local database with the relevant changes of the production DB. That should be mostly user registrations and the tables from our store. Once merged I can move all of it (file system + SQL DB) back to the web server. That should be possible. :)

Growing Member

Thanks again for your input. It worked out quite well. I backed up & restored the live DB into a temporary DB on my dev system and then wrote some SQL select queries (working with my dev and the temporary DB) for each table that needs to be synced to produce the missing records (users, orders, ...). Then I used the same select queries with an insert statement (had to enable identity insert for most tables to be able to set ID columns).

I did that when I was half through with the skin update and performed some QA checks on it. Yesterday when we went live with the new skin (after 6 weeks lol), I could simply repeat the process to refresh my dev DB and then move site + DB to the production system.

New Around Here

https://www.oic.wa.gov.au...rnal-review-activity

Hi Sebastian 

While I was uploading the OnyakTechchart onto our webiste After writing an SQL statement and updating the chart I have received the following error and I am unable to see the graph  -> 'A DataTable named 'ExternalReviewsOnHand' already belongs to this DataSet'.

Could you please assist ?
                  OnyakTech Chart/Managechart/SQL Statement/Updatechart

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved