DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Site SEO

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi Everyone, this is a bit of a laundry list that I see on sites/pages that I'm looking to better optimize (DNN 9.3.2) for SEO. I would be interested in what current best practices are to overcome these dings.

1. I use Woorank - open to better suggestions
    2. They indicate that the lack of schema.org items is a high priority from an SEO standpoint. 
    3. Robots.txt is disallowing access to a few images, notably the search and social icons that are part of my skin (Porto 5). 
    4. XML Sitemap - Woorank doesn't find one, because it's generated by sitemap.aspx - Google knows it's there - but I'm wondering if theres some negative about not actually having an XML file sitemap.
    5. Open Graph and Twitter Cards - same question as Schema

I'm looking for suggestions/thoughts/best practices with DNN. Anything you share would be greatly appreciated! Matt

Growing Member

For the sitemap, mainly to avoid the warning messages from SEO tools, I use a rewrite rule in web.config

<rewrite>
      <rules>
      <rule name="SiteMap" enabled="true" patternSyntax="Wildcard" stopProcessing="true">
      <match url="*sitemap.xml" />
      <action type="Rewrite" url="{R:1}sitemap.aspx" appendQueryString="true" />
      </rule>
      </rules>
      </rewrite>

Veteran Member

As mentioned, when you're using any third-party tool to calculate and improve your SEO, you should be weighing all issues/suggestions against practicality and whether or not such an update will truly have the impact it says.  Also, when you're working with various platforms, you have other pros & cons concerns regarding implementation.  

The sitemap warning is a false negative.  Google's tools and indexer work just fine, as long as everything else is properly being maintained.  You can put in a URL rewrite as suggested to get rid of the warning, but you won't see any SEO benefits outside of no longer seeing the warning. 

Whether or not you use schema markup (and OGP, or others) and where is up to you.  Since every website ends up being mostly unique compared to others, you're the deciding factor here.  For most things that would provide an SEO benefit, I'd suggest using a structured content module instead of the HTML module to maintain that content.  The most popular options seem to include OpenContent and 2sxc.  This allows you to implement the strategically valuable markup, while allowing non-technical people to edit the content without breaking any schema you have decided is important to that content.  

New Around Here

Optimizing your DNN 9.3.2 site for SEO is crucial, and I'm here to help. Consider incorporating schema.org markup for better search engine visibility. Review your robots.txt file to ensure it's not blocking important images. Creating a static XML sitemap file can further enhance crawling and indexing. Don't forget to include Open Graph and Twitter Card meta tags for improved social sharing. Additionally, tools like SEMrush or Moz can provide comprehensive SEO insights beyond Woorank. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Veteran Member

Posted By joswef23 on 2/24/2024 7:30 AM
            Optimizing your DNN 9.3.2 site for SEO is crucial, and I'm here to help. Consider incorporating schema.org markup for better search engine visibility. Review your robots.txt file to ensure it's not blocking important images. Creating a static XML sitemap file can further enhance crawling and indexing. Don't forget to include Open Graph and Twitter Card meta tags for improved social sharing. Additionally, tools like SEMrush or Moz can provide comprehensive SEO insights beyond Woorank. Let me know if you need further assistance!

👀

Advanced Member

There is a bunch of things that you can do to improve your SEO and it's not even DNN related.

In my case I like to mix SEO efforts with my client's context, competition, his/her own technical knowledge and also how far each client wants to go on this subject (every client its so different from one to another and I believe you just can't have a fixed SEO formula for everybody and everything).

For example: my first step before even using a third party tool and fill my desk with a thousand SEO tasks it's always measuring events and conversions from GA4 and having monthly meetings with the client in order to identify the conversion rate and what is their star product/service. Now, based on that first image I'll create a plan in order to optimize the client's content and website in order to increase the overall SEO grade the business currently holds on all the related keywords from their top selling product/service.

This is just an example but the formula constantly changes based on the client, their context, their goals and their availability to work as a team on this long term objective called SEO.

About the 5 points you shared, I'm with Will 100%.

Regards.

Ing. Marco Alvarado Gómez MSc | Globalode
              Phone. +506 6049-1880 | WhatsApp. +506 6049-1880 | Email. [email protected]
              Address. Costa Rica (A Pura Vida place!).
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved