DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Problem with folder permissions

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Veteran Member

Hi all,

I upgraded some sites to DNN 9.9.0 recently (all from 9.8.1, so no extra steps, but some portals are quite old...). No problem so far, all work well except on one portal I get the error message "You don't have permission to see the files on this site." in any module using the UrlControl (logged in as host!). I even can't browse the files from within the HTML module (CK Editor). All entries in the permissions table are OK, and there is nothing special.

I found some older forum posts and entries in the old Jira issues saying: Open the portal root folder, go to settings, review the permissions and click Update. I did that, but no change.

I also tried to delete all files in /Portals/x-System/Cache/Pages, restarted the application pool, upgraded the site to 9.9.1 - nothing helped.

Any ideas?

Happy DNNing!
    Michael

Michael Tobisch
    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
    DNN Connect

Veteran Member

I've seen that a couple of times. I go to Site Assets, right click on Root and then set permissions. That has always worked for me.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Joe,

it is the thing I already tried (I mentioned the found forum posts) - no luck.

(In fact: I reinstalled the Digital Assets Manager to be able to edit the permissions of the root folder - any idea how to do this in the new Resource Manager?)

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Veteran Member

OK, I found a workaround by creating a new user, added it to the Administrators role and now it works fine with this one.

But this is only a workaround, and I still have no idea why this happens. It still does not work with the old host/admin user.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hé Michael, did you find any permanent solution yet? I hate to think, after having replaced every Digital Asset manager module because of the use of Telerik, that I cannot use no host user in a regular Document module anylonger :)

I uninstalled the R7.Documents module (because of Telerik) and reinstalled the DNN.Documents 7.1.0 module. When wanting add a file, it sais: 'You don't have permission to see the files on this site'. 

I use DNN 9.10.2

Veteran Member

DNN documents uses DNN folder permissions, you my configure in DNN 9.10.x using ew nResourceManager module (right click folder)

New Around Here

Thanks Sebastian,

The problem is that we use the new Resource Manager.

Rightclick on a folder is not an option any longer. I can change the permissions on a folder IN the root, via hover over the folder, clicking on the pencil icon, etc. But there's NO options to select the root anywhere...

When visiting the settings of the document module and looking at the Default Folder...

...there are no folders present (even though I resaved the folder Documenten). Therefore I think I need to reset the root folder somehow.

Strang thing however is that I see all the folders via site settings > Changing Site Logo or Favicon.

Veteran Member

did you perform a recursive sync?
                  Background: DNN keeps a database record for each file and folder and there might be mismatches in the UI, which might partly rely on Windows file system and partly on the database.

New Around Here

Posted By Sebastian Leupold on 03 Feb 2022 07:28 AM
                    did you perform a recursive sync?

How do I do this? Via Windows folders? Or via SQL?

Veteran Member

good question, I don't find an option in current Ressource Manager.
                      Let me check with the team...
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved