DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN9 site "Application Error"

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I'm working through Chris Hammond's 20-part tutorial on YT for DNN9 as I'm new and will be using it at my new job. In video 11, he shows how to create and package a module for use in our local site. The module went through multiple errors, and subsequently made my site stop working. The module did build successfully, but now all I see is the following image and I'm not sure how to even check the error logs. Any help as to how I can at least access the logs would be greatly appreciated! 

dnn error

Veteran Member

I think that this would be helped with some additional details ...

You could take a look in the log4net log files located in /portals/_default/logs. The most recent .resources file is the one you'll want to examine. Possibly there are error that are reported there.

Also, are you able to debug your module, assuming that the installation is on a local site?
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response. Do I download log4net to a particular folder? I'm new to DNN, so I appreciate your help and suggestions. The module was already created, it was just a tutorial on how to download and install one to a local site, so I don't think there's problems with the module. 

Veteran Member

Log4net is built into DNN and the logs are created automatically in the /portals/_default/logs folder.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Visual Studio sometimes behaves really strange, and creates a virtual directory and an application when you start/open a project. Go to IIS manager, select the site and check if those are there - just delete them, and everything works again.

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect
            You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved