DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

When to upgrade?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Advanced Member

Hi - I'm currently running DNN 9.6.1 for our public websites. I just wanted to check about newer version, and when I should upgrade, if there are any issues continuing to run 9.6.1, etc. Let me know where I can get this info.

(I'm also running DNN 9.1.1 on our intranet, ,aybe I should upgrade that to 9.6.1 first. Let me know what you think -

Both sites are currently running well, and we use DNN Sharp Action form and grid, as well as EasyDNN News, so those need to be considered when upgrading DNN.

Thanks

Tom

Veteran Member

upgrading the 9.1.1 site will certainly be the most difficult.

So, update the others, it should be quite painless. Then go back and do the hard one.

(FWIW, I've upgraded half a dozen installs from 9.6.1 to 9.9.1 in the last month or so, and it went quite smoothly. In once case I upgrade a DNN install that has about 250 portals and the whole thing took less than 15 minutes, including an upgrade of several extensions. I did practice first on a dev site that was more or less a copy of the production site.)

Oh ... don't forget to backup every installation in the event that something does go badly.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Tom,

the question "When to upgrade?" is definitely to be answered by "As soon as possible".

But when it is possible? You should upgrade the site in a testing environment, and check out if everything works fine. If this is the case, upgrade the site.

If not: Find the problem. Sometimes it's a module, sometimes the skin/theme, sometimes another extension. Try to fix it, find a newer version, and when everything is done and works fine, upgrade the site.

Eg I could not upgrade some sites from 9.6.2 to 9.7.0 as there was a change that affected the Events module. I opened an issue on the Events module site on GitHub (or was there already one? In this case I commented...), and after a while it was fixed. I could then upgrade the sites to 9.9.0 without any problems.

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Advanced Member

Thanks both for your responses - I do have test versions of both sites and always test upgrading there before attempting to upgrade the production site.

I still have notes from upgrading from 9.1.1 to 9.6.1 on the internet site before, so I can use those to test and upgrade the intranet from 9.1.1 to 9.6.1.

I will look at the sites and extensions and come up with a timeline for upgrading. DNN Sharp (Action From /Grid) modules are not ready for DNN 9.9 yet. But I can go to 9.8.1. Do you think I can upgrade straight from 9.6.1 to 9.8.1?

Thanks again

Tom

Veteran Member

I don't see a problem upgrading from DNN 9.6.1 to 9.8.1 or 9.9.x directly.
            Please read release notes carefully and, for the safety of your sites, follow steps to remove Telerik (if supported by all 3rd party modules)

Veteran Member

I think I have done every possible combination going from 9.6.1 to 9.9.1. The result was always the same: no problems.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved