DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

MailKitMailProvider error

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

DNN Version 9.9.0

Mail sent from a site, using SMTP test or Feedback module, has not been delivered. This started happening yesterday.

Some investigation shows:

550-5.7.1 [46.22.136.57 11] Our system has detected that this message
    is 550-5.7.1 not RFC 5322 compliant: 550-5.7.1 'From' header is missing.
    550-5.7.1 To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail, this message has been
    550-5.7.1 blocked. Please visit 550-5.7.1

This was using the CoreMailProvider.

Mail from my module was delivered without and problems. My module uses aspNetEmail from www.advancedintellect.com who seem to have disappeared!

I decided to try the new MailKitMailProvider but it failed with:

InnerMessage:The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm

Full Error Message:

AbsoluteURL:/API/PersonaBar/ServerSettingsSmtpHost/SendTestEmail
    DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
    ExceptionGUID:b0308697-46ed-4c05-849f-9e7e14a93c48

AssemblyVersion:
    PortalId:-1
    UserId:-1
    TabId:-1
    RawUrl:
    Referrer:
    UserAgent:
    ExceptionHash:ADF2KCecl5w9OvzxTafHqm2QVPU=

StackTrace:

at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at MailKit.Net.Smtp.SmtpClient.d__74.MoveNext()

InnerMessage:The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm

InnerStackTrace:
    Source:System
    FileName:
    FileLineNumber:0
    FileColumnNumber:0

Some googling suggests TLS needs to be turned on. I did this in the registry, cleared cache and restarted the site. The problem persists.

The Feedback module returned:

An error occurred while attempting to establish an SSL or TLS connection. This usually means that the SSL certificate presented by the server is not trusted by the system for one or more of the following reasons: 1. The server is using a self-signed certificate which cannot be verified. 2. The local system is missing a Root or Intermediate certificate needed to verify the server's certificate. 3. A Certificate Authority CRL server for one or more of the certificates in the chain is temporarily unavailable. 4. The certificate presented by the server is expired or invalid. 5. The set of SSL/TLS protocols supported by the client and server do not match. See https://github.com/jstedf...slHandshakeException for possible solutions.

Any guidance appreciated.

Veteran Member

Which TLS version are you using?
      Older version 1.0 and 1.1 are usually blocked due to security concerns and should be disabled
      https://social.technet.mi...abling-tls-10-and-11

Growing Member

TLS 1.2

I have found the missing mail. Its all in inetpub\mailroot\Pickup  Why? There is nothing in web.config telling it to use the pickup folder and the messages started appering in there a few days back.

If I wanted mail to go to pickup, on my dev machine, I would normally use:

system.net
            mailSettings
              smtp deliveryMethod="SpecifiedPickupDirectory"
                specifiedPickupDirectory pickupDirectoryLocation="C:\MailPickup\iart" /
              /smtp
            /mailSettings
          /system.net

Growing Member

Problem solved.  I discovered that the IIS SMTP Virtual Server was stopped surprise

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved