DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Admin logs taking lots of memory

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Advanced Member

Hi -

We have two DNN installations  - internet (with 24 Portals) and intranet (with 3 portals).

I notice that, on our intranet site, the Logs folder (/Portals/_default/Logs/), has grown to 142Gb. The same Logs folder on our internet site is only 5.91Gb. From what I can tell, the logging settings are the same (in Manage >Admin Logs,> Log settings)

Our internet site is running DNN 9.6.1, intranet is running DNN 9.1.1 (about to upgrade).

Any idea why the intranet site's Log file is so much larger? The site itself is much smaller, with much less traffic.

Thanks for any insight you might have into this !

Tom

Veteran Member

One guess would be that the site with the huge log files is that way because there is a lot to log. Check the recent files and also the Admin Logs to see if something it throwing lots of errors in the background. You can open the log files with a text editor to see what is there.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

You should be able to delete the log files easily, especially the older ones. The configuration of these log files is specifies in log4net.config file.
        However, as those logs contain mainly errors and warnings, you should inspect, what is causing the errors - hacker attempts or misfunctions/misconfiguration of the site or a module.
        Please note that the logs in Manage >Admin Logs are stored in the database. Please make sure, they don't exceed a few thousand entries, otherwise performance of your site might get affected. If necessary, you may use my script TruncateEventlog2.sql from https://github.com/dnnwerk/truncateEventlog to cleanup these log entries.

Veteran Member

A nice tool to get rid of old DNN log entries in the database (and keep the database smaller) is Scheduled SQL Jobs for DNN/EVOQ by Iowa Computer Gurus. You can find it here to download: GitHub - IowaComputerGurus/dnn.scheduledjobs: A DNN mdoule for scheduled Job execution.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Veteran Member

please be aware, that you can specify the number of events being kept per event log type. I suggest adjusting it for all active types according to your needs.

Advanced Member

Thanks for all the information and advice! Very helpful.
              I am getting a number of Host Alerts, which are Page Naming Conflicts. I don't understand why these occur. It looks as though they occur when two pages/tabs have similar names. For example if one tab is named 'Primo' and the other is 'Primo-old', it seems to cause the issue. I know I could turn off logging for this issue, but is it a concern? Is it bad practice to have similar tab names

Duplicate Page Details:Page naming conflict. Url of (sccintranet/departments/county-administrative-office/primo/) resolves to two separate pages (PRIMO-old [//Departments//CountyAdministrativeOffice//PRIMO-old] [tabid = 234], PRIMO [//Departments//CountyAdministrativeOffice//PRIMO] [tabid = 423]). Only the second page will be shown for the url.

Warning Information:PLEASE NOTE : this is an information message only, this message does not affect site operations in any way.

Suggested Action:Rename one or both of the pages to ensure a unique URL

Veteran Member

If the pages actually have different page names, the problem may be with URL. So, go to the Page Settings, Advanced, SEO for each page and check the URLs for the pages. Delete the ones that are duplicative. You'll may need to clear the cache and restart the application to make sure that everything is cleared.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Advanced Member

Thanks Joe.

The site is running DNN 9.1.1, so I'm looking at Page Settings > Settings > SEO

There I see two tabs (URL Management and Sitemap Settings)

Under URL Management there are four tabs, but I dont actually see any page URLs there that I can delete. Am I in the right place?

Thanks again

Tom

Veteran Member

Page Settings for each page.
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group

Advanced Member

Ah - OK I get it now -

Thanks a million!
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved