DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN Theming

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Like many users over the years, I have stuck with DNN for my love of the community, security, and ease of use. Being more an administrator has saved hrs of time and effort like many other cms.  One thing I do struggle with is the look, and with sites such as wicks. Other ease of design features and has much as and has the capability it is something that I feel is still lacking on ease of use.   One addon I have seen in the store and believe functionality would bring a lot of new users if is added to the core framework Home (websitescreative.com) Their website builder tools look really polished and still could link into the store for pay themes as well as a community free and submit maybe.

Just a thought.

Craig Mitchell

Veteran Member

You might also want to take a look at Vanjaro (vanjaro.com) which is available as a DNN extension. It is from the gang at Mandeeps.com.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Another great example of implementation only thing that can see as a fault is that it's not a DNN set of modules like the above.  But is deff something that I feel is missing in DNN current state and where other cms are starting to pick up speed implementing.

Regards

Craig Mitchell

Veteran Member

As Joe said:take a look at Vanjaro (https://www.vanjaro.com/ or https://github.com/vanjarosoftware ). It just got it's official release and it is as powerful as Elementor for Wordpress or Webflow.
          You can use the Vanjaro platform version (which is a DNN stripped from a lot) or the module version that installs as any other module. Or use the Saas version.

If you do not like Vanjaro, you can also use recent DNNGo skins or EasyDNN Solution Themes that come with page builders.

Technically, Vanjaro is really great and offers the most options and flexibility. But it has a bit of a learning curve. If you want the simplest solution and have designs ready out of the box, choose DNNGo or EDN.
          Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Again further apologies, after just looking more into vanjaros dnn modules I just want to say to Mandeep great work.  This is exactly the thing I was talking about. I appreciate there is an ecosystem for generating sales in making themes but this is perfect and exactly for the part-time administrators out there. I'm just playing around with it atm watching one of his tutorials. 

(230) Webinar: Design a template from scratch - YouTube

Hopefully, there may be a way to import current themes in either supported now or down the line.  Just to say again this would be great in the core or work on par with again to help simplify the whole process of site-building.  Another great surprise from the community stepping up and providing something that is not heard or currently found in the framework.  Maybe one for the roadmap if not already on.

Craig Mitchell

Veteran Member

Hi Craig,

I can almost guarantee that a similar concept like Vanjaro will not be in core. Simply, because it is not needed (there are several options in the ecosystem). But more important: we have been choosing the path of stripping things from core. Main reason was that we had to get rid of Telerik components. And a bigger ship is not as agile as a product needs to be nowadays. 

The result is a lighter core and optional extensions. For instance, the newsletter: it's still there but seperate. And still maintained. Just take a look at https://dnncommunity.org/Forge to see what's out there. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
              Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
              We just love DNN
              https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thanks, Tycho for the feedback. I will admit since using dnn 2 to now and watching the various developers come and go, the move from dotnet 1.1, 2, 3.5 and 4+ how it's weathered the tests of time.  From back when I think it was Charles Nurse and Shaun who keep the core release coming to now where the talents the community has done the releases is unbelievable and I applaud them all.  I appreciate the stripping back and I suppose when I first heard about the open-source project getting its first capital funding and moving to add a professional version something I hoped back then it would not hold too many great features back from open source users.  Seeing the drag and drop on dnn 2 was the first thing that wowed me out back then and as much as the server-side is great the wow factor is also a good thing to gain users.

The forge has come a long way since Chris's implementation back on the dnn site and I'm glad to still see and hear great developers still here helping feed the community. As mentioned the only thing I felt lacking was skins/themes to showcase the power of dnn.  I know mandeeps has been around for as long as myself and probably longer always being active with quality work and has now got another follower.  I look forward to the improvement of his great work.  Out of interest is all the telerik control has been removed out of Vanjaro.  I'm running the latest dnn release and seems pretty good so far. 

Regards

Craig

Veteran Member

DNN is not .NET Core ... and no plans to do it.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

I was under the impression the original start to shrink the core was to help simplify the move the .net core eventually.  After catchup read on DNN, .NET Core, and the Road Ahead > DNN Corp (dnnsoftware.com) it looks like this may not be the case due to all the underlying hurdles.  I suppose time will tell.

Regards

Craig Mitchell

Veteran Member

DNNSoftware.com is very out of date.

https://dnncommunity.org/...hnical-Future-of-DNN is more up to date.
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved