DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Azure - Portal email restrictions

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Gone round in several circles with this one!  Finally, a support person found the restriction listed and we have only PAYG or Enterprise customers can have direct mail from DNN portals to external servers on Azure. Otherwise it gets really complex and not very secure (in my opinion).

Even then there is no guarantee you will have the restriction lifted as its entirely MS' decision. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/troubleshoot-outbound-smtp-connectivity#pay-as-you-go

Is it time for an Azure related forum I ask?

PS:  and before you can request the removal of this restriction, you must have a Virtual Network resource set up even if its not used. 

New Around Here

On our website, hosted on Azure, we use the SendGrid application which provides 25,000 emails per month free. This number is more than sufficient for our needs with over 1000 members.

Growing Member

I had a look at Send Grid but any mention of Active Directory scares me, but will revisit again as its working for you.

One thing has become clear is their technical advice is inconsistent.

Everyone )(at Azure) assumed I was connecting to an unauthenticated SMTP servers over port 25, and said you couldn't without lifting restrictions. I have just found that authenticated servers on-premise are supported over Ports TCP port 587 or 443.

"Using these email delivery services isn't restricted in Azure, regardless of the subscription type."

thanks for the feedback.

Ken

Growing Member

This email problem has been maddening for the last week! However, its solved.

The ISP that hosts our external SMTP relay, confirmed that all the SSL ports were available 'as to be expected'.

I went back to our DNN Web App on Azure and pasted in the correct string from the support email and it worked first time. Nothing is blocked by Azure even on a trial account.
          Hope this helps someone.

========
          [root@office1 ~]# telnet whuk7.whukhost.com 587
          Trying 109.203.107.115...
          Connected to whuk7.whukhost.com.
          Escape character is '^]'.
          ========
          [root@office1 ~]# telnet whuk7.whukhost.com 443
          Trying 109.203.107.115...
          Connected to whuk7.whukhost.com.
          Escape character is '^]'.
          ========"

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved