DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 9.2.2 too 9.3.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hi All,

I have posted a similar issue here: https://dnncommunity.org/forums/aft/495

The issue I am having this time is upgrading from 9.2.2 too 9.3.2. this time with only one of the error messages (error message below).
    (this instance has previously upgraded from 7.4.1 -> 8.0.4 -> 9.1.1 -> 9.2.2)

When I copied the 9.3.2 upgrade files overtop of 9.2.2 instance and ran the upgrade from the web UI, it doesnt appear to upgrade at all. After 30mins of waiting I stop the instance and re-copy the upgrade files (9.3.2). start the instance, in the web UI there is a message saying something like "upgrade number is the same as the current version" and I run the upgrade anyway. I realise at this point that it had probably upgraded the 1st time (but still redirects to upgrade UI) at this point but didn't think running the upgrade again would do harm. I've had to repeat this step twice with the same outcome

Any advice would help :)

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.get_HomeDirectoryMapPath() +66
       DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.LoadPortal(PortalInfo portal, PortalSettings portalSettings) +622
       DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.BuildPortalSettings(Int32 tabId, PortalInfo portal) +97
       DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewrite.BasicUrlRewriter.RewriteUrl(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2042
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +141
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +74
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +92

Veteran Member

did you make sure to use proper version of .Net framework for your IIS app pool?
      are you using any 3rd party or DNN community module?
      are you using a 3rd part skin?

New Around Here

Hi Sebastian,
        Thank you for your reply,
        Yes we are using correct framework, we are using 3rd party DNN modules which I am going through and removing modules that we no longer use.
        We also use custom skins which I've coded but same skins still work with upgraded versions of DNN

How would you go about narrowing down what the root cause could be? as we do have 50+ portals on this instance and regardless of removing inactive / out of date modules, I think when I upgrade this instance again I will have the same error.

I have been successful with upgrading other instances 9.1.1 -> 9.3.2 with similar modules (EasyDNN & Mandeeps) the only difference with this one is it's an older instance and initially upgraded from 7.4.1 -> 8.0.4 -> 9.1.1.

Veteran Member

Look in the log4net files for clues not in the Admin Logs.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Log4Net files are located inside /portals/_default/logs/ folder.
            Besides, check /bin folder for outdated leftover files from uninstalled extensions - same for /desktopmodules and /providers subfolders. If this doesn't help. you should take the time to check all other folders inside the IIS website folder for your DNN.
            Background: DNN 9.2/9.3 removed a number of outdated deprecated methods from DNN7 an earlier, which might still be used by leftovers of some old DNN or 3rd party extensions (modules, providers, skins or containers).

New Around Here

Thank you both for your replies, im still going through and removing 3rd party modules and such. I am hoping the errors below sparks someones memory and can point me in the right direction :)

Looking at log files it seems when running the update for the 1st time (when updating the loading /progress bar does not work for me) I receive this error.

DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider - System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The object 'vw_RoleUsers' is dependent on column 'LowerEmail'. ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN LowerEmail failed because one or more objects access this column. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDatabaseConnectionProvider.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, String query) at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script, Int32 timeoutSec) ClientConnectionId:46f23cf4-1935-49ad-83b7-1645823a1d14 Error Number:5074,State:1,Class:16

Then when i refresh the page, (update now at 9.3.0) input my login details and run install again I, log shows the below errors

[WebVM][Thread:55][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider - System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot DROP VIEW 'dbo.vw_Portals' because it is being referenced by object 'vw_PortalsDefaultLanguage'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDatabaseConnectionProvider.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, String query) at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script, Int32 timeoutSec) ClientConnectionId:b68b75b1-439f-4da7-9560-ebefa4b1d64a Error Number:3729,State:1,Class:16 [WebVM]

[Thread:55][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider - System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): There is already an object named 'vw_Portals' in the database. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDatabaseConnectionProvider.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, String query) at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script, Int32 timeoutSec) ClientConnectionId:b68b75b1-439f-4da7-9560-ebefa4b1d64a Error Number:2714,State:3,Class:16

After a while waiting after that I receive this error, refresh the page once again (Database and application versions match - there is no upgrade to apply.) and then receive this error in the logs which repeats its about 10 times

[WebVM][Thread:29][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.IndexOutOfRangeException: TermsTabId at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinal(String fieldName) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(String name) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_Item(String name) at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.Fill(IDataReader dr) at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)

Veteran Member

Jordan,
                this looks like a SQL issue. did you by chance install my TurboScripts before the upgrade?

New Around Here

Thanks Sebastian, I'll check out TurboScripts and let you know how I go!

Veteran Member

my question was, whether you installed my TurboScripts before - if you don't know, check HostSettings table for a SettingName like 'Turbo%'. In this case, you would need to be cautions with upgrades.
                    Besides, please make sure, you are followings the suggested upgrade path - you don't need to (and shouldn't) upgrade via every minor version of DNN.

New Around Here

Just as well I haven't done anything with them yet :P
                      I had a look in the dbo.Hostsettings and I can see "TurboSchema_Version" would this be related to one of your SQL scripts? Looking at your scripts it does seem possible we have use the TurboSchemaXXX.sql before. just to confirm would using the Unschema932.sql before upgrade potentially fix this issue?

Following recommended DNN upgrade path, although it has been such a long time potentially we skipped 9.1.1 when upgrading too 9.2.2 as it had just come out but is unlikely. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved