DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

.NET Core and DNN

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Our company has a website hosted on DNN, which has been running for abour 15 years. Our company custom built many modules for our needs. Since .Net Framework is now legacy and I read some blogs on the DNN website that DNN will be moved to .Net Core (in version 10?). So, is there a time line when DNN moves to .Net Core? is there a migration path for existing modules(.Net Framework) to .Net core? Sorry, if this has been answered before, I only found some blogs that are from 2018, 2019. I am trying to get a better picture as we plan high level changes for our website couple of years out. Also, I read in one of the blog that currently there is a way to run .NET core modules. Not sure if it is true, if it is, is there any tutorial/example on how to build .NET core based modules?

Veteran Member

Moving to .NET Core is something that we talk about as a community and at the leadership level quite a bit. However, it's a very complicated situation. First, .NET is not legacy, and webforms is technically going to be supported by Microsoft for longer than .NET Core. I don't recall the dates off of the top of my head.

You'll even have seen many recent updates to the DNN core keeping the future of .NET and Core/Standard in mind when you see things like enhanced MVC support, dependency injection, etc. So it remains a goal, but there is no target date (like with most open-source updates).

I'll have one of the other team leaders chime in here later. They're more hands-on with the conversation than I have been.

Veteran Member

Oh, and a useful side note for me is I'm not personally worried about this until Microsoft migrates all of their own web apps from web forms to .NET Core. 😉

Advanced Member

Hi. You may find the following blog articles helpful on this subject.

https://dnncommunity.org/...hnical-Future-of-DNN

https://dnncommunity.org/...tegy-To-Know-Thyself

David Poindexter
          Corporate Website  |  Facebook Page  |  Twitter Page

nvisionative
          Creator of:

Growing Member

The two articles linked by David are the best sources of information, and nothing has really changed from those articles. We have to acknowledge who, and what we are, and be the best of what we can be. We still have a long pathway ahead, but it is also important for folks to understand what can or cannot be done.

For clarity though to a few of your questions.

DNN website that DNN will be moved to .Net Core (in version 10?)

There are NO plans currently for DNN to be moved to .NET 6 (the framework formerly known as .NET Core if we are being specific)
            is there a migration path for existing modules(.Net Framework) to .Net core

This is the entire crux of why we are not migrating, there is NOT a migration path, it isn't technically possible for 90% of the usage scenarios due to the fact that System.Web was not transitioned by Microsoft to .NET 6. Even Microsoft's recommendations are "file -> new project" for anything WebForms. based.
            Also, I read in one of the blog that currently there is a way to run .NET core modules

This is not 100% true, you can do things to be closer to compatible, and you can even use some .NET 6 stuff within a DNN site, but its a bit tricky and not something that is on the supported routes now, as .NET 6 != .NET Framework. You can use things like .NET Standard (https://docs.microsoft.co...andard/net-standard) 2.1 to share code between .NET Framework & .NET 6, however, that isn't at the UI level.

I personally have had great success with some pairing of .NET 6 & DNN. Let DNN do the CMS stuff, let the .NET 6 stuff do some of the other heavy lifting but each project is different.
            Mitchel Sellers
            Technology Advisory Group Leader
            CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
            Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com

New Around Here

@Will Strohl, @David Poindexter, @Mitchel Sellers - The articles and your clarifications helped me understand where DNN is heading. Thanks so much!

Advanced Member

You are most welcome @Ana_Dana

David Poindexter
                Corporate Website  |  Facebook Page  |  Twitter Page

nvisionative
                Creator of:

New Around Here

Mitch, Any changes?

Core support may be a deal breaker for a potential client.

... and would you give some examples of what you mean by "paired" solutions?

"I personally have had great success with some pairing of .NET 6 & DNN. Let DNN do the CMS stuff, let the .NET 6 stuff do some of the other heavy lifting but each project is different."

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved