DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Compiling Source Code DNN 9.10.2

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I'm new to DNN and I have DNN 9.6.2 which I can modify,compile and publish. I have to move to DNN 9.10.2 and I downloaded the Source Code of it from github. When I open it in VS2019 and try to build it builds successfully in Debug but on publishing in Release mode i'm getting github error regarding some packages.
    I found this https://www.dnnsoftware.c...g-901-source-package but on github their is no DNN_Platform_v9.10.2_Source.zip. I found Source Code.zip only.
    Please point me to the right direction as I really need to upgrade site to newer version and I need to compile and publish it as well as there are custom changes in code which are required.
    Thanks 

Veteran Member

No need compiling. just run the upgrade wizard
      https://docs.dnncommunity.../upgrades/index.html
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Sorry, did not read the last part (hidden in mail) :-)

Typically, you don't adjust the core. You add features using extensions, that's how you prevent to get into serious trouble.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
        Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
        We just love DNN
        https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Hello Tycho,
          The issue is the v9.6.2 I have had some custom changes in code to change some of the functionality of DNN. Since I need those functionality as well I really need to know how can I compile and publish the v9.10.2.
          Thanks

Growing Member

This isn't an area that we have a lot of documentation on directly as what you are discussing is not a suggested pattern.

However, you can look at the build processes that are used by DNN which we have documented here: https://github.com/dnnsof...lop/.github/BUILD.md

You can also look at our release build process as done here: https://github.com/dnnsof...m/tree/develop/Build However, this is a very involved packaging process
            Mitchel Sellers
            Technology Advisory Group Leader
            CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
            Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com

New Around Here

In case you haven't found it yet, Peter Donker has a Youtube channel devoted to just this topic: StayAtHomeDNNer https://www.youtube.com/c...d2cgCz-6MzCyfoxL6dAQ . It is still relevant and worked for me. Thanks Peter!

Veteran Member

As others have said ... modifying and re-compiling DNN is the first step on the road to ruin.

And, considering all of the extension points that are available, your first step might be to step back and re-think your approach.

Seriously, we are trying to save you from a world of hurt!

It would be educational, though, if you could describe some of the customization that has been done. That might elicit suggestions as to alternate approaches to solving the same problems.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

I second what Joe and the others are saying - modifying DNN instead of using the extensions will give you a world of pain.

I've spent many hours cleaning up after something similar - but in the end the time was well spent since upgrades were effortless later on.

As suggested - try describing what the customizations are - perhaps the community can help you solve it another way?

# DnnBro

New Around Here

Sorry, I'm just jumping in the middle of this forum! I don't know where I can raise my question. I seem to have the same issue with compiling/installing the source code of DNN 9.10.2 which I recently downloaded.
                    The code compiles well, no errors and I was able to install the DB and the DNN. I also upgraded as well, but as soon as the upgrade is done, the website keeps going to the "Install/UpgradeWizard.aspx" and "The resource cannot be found.".
                    I don't seem to be able to fix this issue. I tried to change the config file settings, yet the error still persists. I'm using VS 2022, if this helps.
                    I'd appreciate any help.
                    Thank you

Veteran Member

Posted By Jess on 11/7/2022 7:27 AM
                      Sorry, I'm just jumping in the middle of this forum! I don't know where I can raise my question. I seem to have the same issue with compiling/installing the source code of DNN 9.10.2 which I recently downloaded.
                      The code compiles well, no errors and I was able to install the DB and the DNN. I also upgraded as well, but as soon as the upgrade is done, the website keeps going to the "Install/UpgradeWizard.aspx" and "The resource cannot be found.".
                      I don't seem to be able to fix this issue. I tried to change the config file settings, yet the error still persists. I'm using VS 2022, if this helps.
                      I'd appreciate any help.
                      Thank you

Hello!  The video series below is still mostly relevant. Have you gone through this yet?  There's a bit of setup, but after you do that, it's all pretty smooth.  :)  

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMIH...TIIiaeLtq2

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved