DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Migrating DNN to Plesk

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

My internet connection is interrupted and reparation is taking far too long so I am forced to migrate my website. I have chosen for BigRock and I encounter problems migrating with a Plesk control panel. I was running DNN 9.2.2 without problems on my own server, but after migration and after learning how to work with plesk the persona bar of, my new website showed only the DNN logo. After googling the problem, I found a forum that recognised the problem and stated that it would be resolved in 9.2.4 or 9.4 - I'm not sure, so I decided to update to the mewest version.

When trying to update my new server, the update failed. Would it be that the zip file was not unblocked? I could not edit the properties of the zip file. So I updated the version on my server and copied every file to the new server with ftp to prevent the unblocking problem. Now I am stuck with the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Security Exception
    Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request failed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: Request failed.]
       DotNetNuke.Application.Application.get_Version() +0
       DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade.CheckFipsCompilanceAssemblies() +36
       DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize.InitializeApp(HttpApplication app, Boolean& initialized) +424
       DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize.Init(HttpApplication app) +200
       DotNetNuke.HttpModules.RequestFilter.RequestFilterModule.FilterRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +260
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +142
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +75
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +93

I checked my web.config file and found the following section marked out.
        <!-- set code access security trust level - this is generally set in the machine.config
        <trust level="Full" originUrl=".*" />
        -->
    I added the line 
    trust level="Full" />
    because I felt unsure about the originUrl and tried loading the website in my browser again and got the folowing error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: This configuration section cannot be used at this path.  This happens when the site administrator has locked access to this section using <location allowOverride="false"> from an inherited configuration file.

Source Error:

An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Source File: D:\INETPUB\VHOSTS\khmersupport.com\portal.khmersupport.com\web.config    Line: 157

Trying other solutions, I decided to try Medium security level. I changed the CAS security level in my Plesk ASP.Net settings end went to edit my web.config file and noticed that Plesk had changed the line itself to  trust level "Medium". Loading my sete in my browser resulted in the first error message about the security policy. 
    Checking the folder Portals/_default/logs, no log has been created on the new version of my website, all log entries came from the version on my own server. The IIS log files show only this:
    2021-11-28 08:26:18    36.37.216.242    500    GET / - HTTP/1.1

Any ideahow to solve this?

New Around Here

I've had this issue before and IIRC the app pool needs to have write permissions on your dnn directory. Should be able to do this with file management.

Veteran Member

If the update failed, revert back to the original version and try again.

Observation: From the way you describe this, it sounds like a permissions issue.

(You app pool identity user needs to have a login to the database and full access to the web directory. Refer to https://dnncommunity.org/...Download-and-Install but understand that you may need to make modifications to accommodate Plesk.)

Personal opinion: If your hosting company cannot help you with this or doesn't provide support, you should find one that does. There are some good ones, too. True, they cost more than you are paying, but they provide quality support.
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group
        You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
        2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        5. No Flaming or Trolling.
        6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved