DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrade made simple

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Entry grade question here...  I have a DNN 9.1 installation on MS Azure. Azure isn't backing up the web serevice properly (another little Azure foible), so everything is at risk.

The expectation is there  are some issues on 9.1 that 9.3.2 will sort.

If I simply overwrite the current installation with the 9.3.2 ugrade from GitHub over ftp, it looks to me like all my user, theme and other settings will be overwritten and lost.  Is that correct?  Can I do such a simple thing and not have to start again from scratch?

any experience most welcome

Veteran Member

The usual way to upgrade, is to copy the UPDATE package on top of the current installation. Then reload the website to kick off the upgrade process.

But, you really should make backups of the database and the files before doing this.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Hi,

what worked really well was to use the 'clone' function in Azure, so I cloned the member05 web service to member06. So now have two running, the second will try out French langauges.

The clone took about 15 minutes but didn't seem to work, just got a site not available error.

Then following your and another person's advice, I unpacked the upgrade zip file, and using ftp frok my desktop, simply overwrote the exiting files with the upgrade files.

Was then able to browse from within Azure to the install wizard and went from there.

The previous site content/users/extensions were preserved OK.

Definitely a result.

thanks for the guide..

Growing Member

OK spoke to soon.  The Azure clone upgraded fine as I mentioned. However,  the original portal isnt working properly after upgrading, the persona bar and user profiles aren't showing for example.  After the upgrade browsing to the portal bypassed the host-log refresh and went stright in. This is probably part of the problem.

I can work around this thankfully, if any one has any ideas as to what didnt copy over properly would be good for the future?

thanks

Growing Member

OK spoke to soon.  The Azure clone upgraded fine as I mentioned. However,  the original portal isnt working properly after upgrading, the persona bar and user profiles aren't showing for example.  After the upgrade browsing to the portal bypassed the host-log refresh and went stright in. This is probably part of the problem.

I can work around this thankfully, if any one has any ideas as to what didnt copy over properly would be good for the future?

thanks

Veteran Member

Posted By KenT on 05 Sep 2019 09:54 AM

thanks

When something like this happens, it's usually best to start the upgrade over after restoring the website.  Finding and replacing failed files is not really something that's easy to do and it's very time-consuming.  

Growing Member

To anyone reading this, now a few months on and a different outcome resulted.
                You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved